Top Shelf Aquatics

Most Effective Surface Skimmer?

Shaolin

So just leave my LR and Cheato in Chamber 2?

If enough light is hitting chamber 1 I think it would be best to place the LR and Cheato in there so the water will have more flow across those objects. Maybe I could run the heater like you did and and some of that LR in chamber 2.

Ok I will wait till I get my Hydro Flow and the larger pump. Should I use the 900 or go bigger on the pump. You know! You have it hooked up.:) I know that refugiums are based on slow flow so...

UPDATE: I just had an idea. Why not just cover up the lower 1/4 portion of the intank. It would raise water levels in the back and not slow down any flow within the tank. I might just stick something in there and try it.

That did not work as well as I imagined it.:) I want to make a few more surface skimmers with different size slots and different spacing and see what results I get. Will go back up tomorrow and buy two more boxes for $4.00.

artarmon42

Like I wrote in the other thread, a more powerful (higher gph) pump will take out water faster than it can flow in. Pretty certain those pumps aren't supposed to be run dry. For my setup anyway, Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph) is the highest I'd go.

Report back how your experiments go...

Cool, will order my Maxi-Jet or look at another brand pump at the LFS. I know they have the HydroFlo there. Anything I need to hook up the HydroFlo? Walk me thru it on set up!

artarmon42

The Flo is pretty easy to install. I'd recommend Dremeling it for the "more" stealthy look. Doesn't do anything functionally, but visually looks less bulky.

You know, you could just ask all these questions on the other thread, which will probably be more beneficial for other readers...

• 2 weeks later...

wow i like this thread, very intuitive designs! :)

beats the hell out of making teeth in the back compartment divider.

Archived