inTank Media Baskets

12g Nano DX running HOT!!!!

Sparkling_Surfer

Sparkling_Surfer

I came home yesterday to find my tank running at 84 degrees :o Overnight it dropped to a *whopping* 82...My house doesn't get hotter than 78. The tank is not near any windows. The lights stay on for 10-12 hours a day, and both of the stock fans are working. What should I do?

Sparkling_Surfer

I'd rather not spend $200 on a chiller...that would be a last resort. The reason I bought the NanoCube was because I like the idea of not having extra equipment all over the place. Any cheap mods? My dad was thinking we could buy a small fan, hang it on the hood, and direct it towards the water in filter compartments...possibly cooling the water?

Sparkling_Surfer

I'll look into getting a new pump. I've been keeping the feeding lid open...it has helped a lot. The tank is down to 78 and doesn't climb over 80. Thanks everyone!

I swapped out fans in the lid and ran them off of a power adapter and it still ran to hot for my likings. I just use my 12" $12.00 stand up fan from target and it works great all day long.:) Just bounce the air off of the side of the tank and the back.

also, during really hot days, throw some ice cubes in a bag and put it in the back area. it ll help cool down your tank during the day.

unless you have a chiller, plus 80 temps is the nature of ncs.

Why not just run a 12" $12.00 stand up fan. Why would you go thru the hassle of running ICE when you can just set your fan on a timer with your lights? And what, the fan goes out in a year or so then spend a another $12.00 and your good to go.:)

Originally posted by Sparkling_Surfer

So should I get a fan or a new pump?

Neither.

I had the same problem you are having. I did two things and it knocked 4-5 degrees off my temp.

First, I shortened the lighting cycle to 8 hours. The majority of heat buildup comes from the lights. If not, the temperature wouldn't go down when the lights were off.

Second, and most importantly, I removed the splash guard from in front of the two fans. This allows the fans to pull exaust from the surface fo the water, resulting in a cooling effect. If your concerned about salt creep or hurting yourself, you can use a dremel to drill openings in the splash guard instead of removing it.

If you want to reduce the temperature on the cheap, the key is to get one or more fans pulling or pushing air to the surface of the tank. While not the ideal way to control temperature due to the greater evaporation you will need to deal with, it is a hell of a lot cheaper than adding a chiller.

$12.00 stand up fan facing the side has almost no evaporation. And yes, I also figured out all of the heat is in between the light cover and the water. I put larger fans in with a power adapter and it still did not pull enough out. I was going to install plastic grill covers for computer fans below the fans in the splash guard. So all you have to do is cut out the holes and then screw the plates in and done. It would look nice as well.:) I installed a refugium light now and with my 12" stand up fand only my tank never gets above 80.5 on low standing 3 feet away.

artarmon42

Computer fans that close to salt water might be problematic.

Sucking air from the water surface into the splashguard might also be sub-optimal (splashguard is there to prevent water/condensation going into the electricals).

If you're willing to cut the splashguard, cutting the rear (and using the rear vent/fan that I use to cool the MH system) is a safer way to go IMHO.

Stand up fan is the easiest and my temps don't fluctuate at all so far. And I only run it on low, much more quiet than my fan upgrades in the hood.:)

I’m having the same problem with mine getting up to 84 by the end of the day. My easiest solution for now is to point the water return up towards the surface making the most water movement possible and opening the lid. By the next morning it’s down to about 78. The stand up fan I’m sure is a great idea but I really don’t want a fan taking up room in my kitchen, making more noise, and most importantly taking away from the serenity I got the cube for in the first place. Eventually I’m going to switch out my pump to try and cool it down that way. Remember K.I.S.S. that’s why we have nano cubes…

Archived