Top Shelf Aquatics

green chromis

Jezze

OK..  So I had my tank up for a few days.. put in some sand and 14 pounds of quality live rock.  I watched the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels for about 5 days.. added a fish(the green chromis), fed him lightly for 4 days.  The ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels never got very high, and now its finished cycling and everything is near 0.  I then added 2 hermit crabs and a snail.  When I first got the green guy, he was very curious, and came to see everyone.  Now, he just hides behind the rocks.  Hes very skiddish.  He eats like a champ, so I dont think hes sick.  He doesnt have anything visibly wrong with him either, and he moves fast.  Is this just how they generally act?  I think I might take him back if so.  Anyone else have any expierence with them?  thanks, jesse

they are generally a group type fish and are very skitish. a single chromis i think would tend to hide and not be out friendly with everyone.

get him a buddy. i started out with 1 and he hid all the time also i added a 2nd and he came out a lot more. when i upgraded to a bigger tank i adde a 3rd and the only time they hide is when the lights go out. they are a very sociable fish and do not do very well as 1. when they are out they make for a very busy tank

What other fish would he like as a buddy? only another green chromis?  Id like to get somethin different looking if possible.  Its also only a 10 gallon, so I dont want to overcrowd it.  How many hermit crabs and snails can i have in there?  thanks..

Jesse

Vixyswillie

Hey Jezze,

I've got a 120g FO tank that's just completing the cycle, too - have 5 yellow-tailed damsels in it and 5 green chromis right now. I had the damsels first, then added the chromis. 4 of my chromis school together ALL the time. The 5th one is always a loner and hides. Just basically turns up to eat, then goes back to hiding. I'd try getting another green chromis and see if the two of them hang together. In my tank, the chromis GENERALLY inhabit the top third of the tank - and the damsels inhabit the rocks/bottom third of the tank... works out kinda nice.

BTW - I'm also told the chromis are related to damsels, but are not as territorial/aggressive. Others here would be more of an authority, of course, but that seems to be the case in my tank. Those damsels are real little schitz!! Started with 6 of them, actually, and one night they decided to turn one of their tankmates into a marine frisbee. :)

Jezze

add a perc clown they made all my fish come out of the caves. my chromis would hid non-stop until i added the clowns now they are all buddies!

Archived