SaltCritters.com

Any one successfully kept a black ribbon eel?

v_dubb_it_up

BKtomodachi

Once again... the "I'm special and I can do it" attitude fails, the result of which being the loss of a life.

I am VERY glad that you posted your results though! Often people shy away from saying that something died, and then everyone assumes it is fine. Then they think they can do it, and the cycle of death continues.

Yeah, that's the thing about animals like this. It's not just that they're hard to care for in ways we know of, like feeding; they also die "mysteriously" all the time. Who knows why--but obviously, they are just one of those animals that can't--at least, for now--be reasonably kept in captivity.

Of course, people should always research animals before they buy them--most LFS will at least hold onto something until the end of the day--but nevertheless, the fact that an LFS will LIE to make money is pretty abhorrent, especially when it's something like a ribbon eel, where there's NO room for disagreement. Do go ***** them out--and don't let them tell you that they "didn't know" or that they "disagree"; it's common knowledge.

Perhaps, for now, only public aquariums, which have the funds and access to most any kind of live food, should be keeping these animals, IF anybody.

Undertheradar

LOL, on the main page where the 'most recent threads' are listed...this thread is listed as "Any one successfully kept a black"...LOL. I dont know if you could get anyone here to reply to that, LOL! Maybe some old civil war novels...

v_dubb_it_up

I went today to reem buddy out that sold it to me, and he played stupid like I figured. After some name calling, I just decided not to buy from there anymore, and make sure none of my friends do either. He tried to tell me that he has kept them before in the past and said they were easy. So I asked what happened to them and he paused for awhile and said that he sold them. Yeah right. Anyway, stupid mistake. All I can say to everyone is that even the most seemingly trustworthy LFS can screw you over like mine did to me. It costs a life and cost him thousands of dollars he could have made off me, so I guess he screwed himself as well. Live and learn I guess!

• 3 weeks later...

TBH if he took the word of his LFS to be true (not very wise I must admit) and accidently purchased something which is known not to do very well in captivity and only found out just how difficult they are to keep once he researched it at home, what course of action would of been the best in peoples opinions?? Im sure at the lfs he would of had a much shorter life in their holding tanks. If he was returned and then bought again by some other unsuspecting customer im sure the exact same outcome would of arisen. I agree in that you will never cut the demand for creatures like this LFS are always going to stock them and then pass them on to people with no knowledge on the matter. I think that he tried his best to look after this creature and now probably knows not to take a LFS word for gold and in my opinion couldn't of done anything else.

• 15 years later...

I've had a black ribbon eel (juvenile), blue ribbon eel (adult) and ghost ribbon eel cohabitation together in one tank. We recently got the blue ribbon eel a month ago but prior to that the ghost eel and ribbon eel shared space in our 90 gal for about 2 1/2, the black ribbon eel we've had for 6 months.  We've even gotten the ghost and. Lack ribbon eel to eat by prongs. We first put one black Molly in every couple of days or if they don't notice it we will use prongs to dangle it but not right in their face. Once they start eating those and then will eat them from the prongs then you start to go to krill shrimp with the same prong method, shaking it in front of them to look like a shrimp. If they have enough comfortable space, get accurate night/day light and believe it or not they like to be talked to and looked at they will begin to feel comfortable enough to eat the krill shrimp from the prongs. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Mine died today as well :{ 
At least he was happy for over 15 months.

Recently after switching from ATI essentials to Calcium reactor he just stopped eating.

No idea how that could have influenced him.

Look at this gorgeous creature...

I did have to mouth-feed him every other day though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 6:17 AM, s1ngle said:

Mine died today as well :{ 
At least he was happy for over 15 months.

Recently after switching from ATI essentials to Calcium reactor he just stopped eating.

No idea how that could have influenced him.

Look at this gorgeous creature...

I did have to mouth-feed him every other day though.

they should be fed about three times a week if not they will over eat and become too fat...