ReefCleaners.org

HELP!!Cooling Nano Cube deluxe 12 g

Izzue

Any suggestions or ideas how to cool a Nano 12g deluxe. Ive been looking at the Iceprobe but cant figure where or how to install. Ive seen the thread where someone modified the Iceprobe with smaller heat sink, but I live in Mississippi where the summers are hot and cost a fortune to cool my home down ( no trees-- right in the sun and keep temp in house 78 to 80) and this mode would tend to lose the efficeince of the Iceprobe. Im new to all this and doing research right now-- My lps offered to drill a hole to install but we dont know if the glass could be drilled (tempered glass???)on the side of cube close to where the water return is. We even kicked around drilling the bottom of filtration unit on return side, then cutting hole in stand for iceprobe to set down in. ONly problem with that is then cutting the back of the stand for air circulation. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I need to fiqure the cooling part before I can get started :) Thanks Izzue

artarmon42

If you don't mind the look, you could simply open the front hood and blow a (small) fan at the water. If you d a search back to the last few summers, that's what most people did.

If you're handy, you could try installing a rear vent/fan which works as above, but hides the fan so that you retain the stock look (from the front).

Or you could try Nanocustoms ICA. As long as you can disipate the heat generated by the Peltier it should cool your tank the best.

with house temp @ 78-80 i think your going have to no option but to get a chiller for your tank. i have my condo at 68. and i still fight heat issues on the nc. i open the lid as artman has mentioned and that seems to work. but with yoru hight house temps i dont think the lid will work.

i agree with artman that your best option is prob with nanocustoms chiller unit.

Thanks for the replies

I Pm'd Chris about installing 2 of his chill assist if needed. ONe might do the trick in the beginning since Im not planning on any lighting modes in the beginning. The Iceprobe just doesnt seem to be a good option (dont really want to drill on the cube itself) 2 of his units would cost the same as Iceprobe and controller :)

You're looking at 2-3* cooler with the ICA. For many people that may bring them from borderline to comfortable. What temp are you currently running at?

It's awesome to have another reefer from Mississippi. Welcome to n-r.

THKS JMT

Dont get mad -- but I pull for the Bulldogs--lol

I havent had a tank since my MISSTATE days, but looking forward to a small setup.

Ya Im not to sure its gonna be enough cooling for me-- might have to do some drilling to get the Iceprobe installed. We just dont keep the house very cool. We get hot enough, go jump in the pool :)

opps -- Just doing research right now-- gonna start with the Nano DEluxe 12 g. Im just trying to figure the cooling problem before setup, cause I know its gonna be an issue. If I do a light upgrade Im sure it will fry everything. My last tank was a 30 gallon reef tank about hmmmmm--15 years ago and I had to fight temps on it due to strong lighting system (at that time I couldnt afford a chiller) I may just have to get an Iceprobe and fiqure some kinda of mode :)

Ok My LPS and I have decided that we can drill the bottom of the Nano cube on the water return side to install Iceprobe, then cut square hole in stand for the Iceprobe to resess into. The back of the stand is open and if needed I could install some kinda small fan or blower to move the hot air out of the stand itself?????

Any comments suggestions or problems someone could foresee in this idea???????????

Thanks Izzue

The iceprobe is a nice unit, it's just a little bulky (and pricey). Make sure and check any issues involving the stability and structural integretiy of the tank and the stand before you put it all together. It'd be a shame to have a stock tank bust open.

Opps -- Thanks artarmon42-- I emailed JBJ about drilling in the side of the cube next to the water return. The sides are not tempered but I didnt ask about the bottom :(

And I would imagine you are right and the bottom is tempered. Carpo--thought I was on to something.

Just spoke to my LPS and hes gonna get in the 12g deluxe and the 24g deluxe along with the Iceprobe and controller.

We gonna put them side to side and figure a way to install then Ill choose which tank Im gonna buy :)

The ICA sounds great -- but for my temps -- then later when I do a lighting upgrade, I dont think it will be able to cool as low as I will need it to

Just wanted to say thanks to the help ------ Nano-Reef Rocks!!!!!!!

I landed a Finnex 18 gal that will be easier for me cool with the help of a pumped chiller. I will post pictures coming up within the next couple of months. Summer time means Vacation TIME--so I might not set up until the end of summer.

Thanks again :) Im Sure I will need some help and ideas :)

Izzue

Archived