ReefCleaners.org

12 to 24 switch help....

JAMAICANreef

JAMAICANreef

switching out all the stuff in my 12 gallon to my new 24 gallon cube this weekend. There is about 20lbs or LR in the 24 already along with some coral frags and a XL metallic open brain. Besides using some of the water and all the LR from the 12 is there anything else i need to keep all of the coral in that tank stable after the move. ie. sand? Thanks any other dos and donts wud be great.

Nikko

artarmon42

Sand doesn't have significant benefits in a nano (not enough surface area to justify a DSB) and pose risks if not maintained (nitrate traps).

So in a nano, sand is mainly for aesthetics. I personally like bare bottom tanks myself...

ps: Is that an Onyx?

Hey, where did you get that tubing for your output in your 12? I would love something like that to ramdomize flow a bit more.

Jamaicanreef,

Nice 12! Thank thing is definitely fully stocked. I'm sure you will get the 24g filled up in no time. Personally I like the sand.

By the way, your switching tanks this weekend. How are you going to make it to the 49th annual florida marine aquarium show in Ft. Lauderdale? Just kidding.

Nick

JAMAICANreef

ok...so i was thinking that bringing over some of the sand would keep the enviornment in the new tank similar to the old and not cause the coral to go into shock by going into a "clean" enviornment. Ill prob just put a little...doesnt hurt.

Artarmon- yes it is an Onyx, i got it for 18 bucks about a year ago

Damage- you are right, it was stocked and it breaks my hurt to tear it down but water changes are a ***** since there are corals so close to the surface of the water and cleanin the sides is impossible

ps i think ill have to miss out on the show

Bobboz- its a Loc-Line spray bar..any LFS or online place carries it.

i just made the switch from a 30 gallon open top tank with 130 watts pc to a 24 nano with 72 watts pc and all i used was about half the water and all the live rock and all the corals just droped right in and are already thriving. i would leave the sand in the old tank just for the fact that it will bring nitrates with it

Archived