Coral Vue Hydros

New Photos of my 12G DX (updated again)!

Web Guy

I was waiting for you to pop in with your negativity!...:)

Always bringing joys and smiles to all among the forums huh. Have you looked thru your post. I bet over 85% of everything you post is negative on this forum. But that's what makes the world go round for ya.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BK is here to help bring light to certain subjects...as we are all. If you want everybody to post with nothing but positive things to say, I would say many of our tanks would have crashed by now.

With that said...I am not going to question your knowledge regarding the creatures you keep, but don't come around asking us why the clam is starting to look like ass...or your fish died or the tang died.

Tank looks great--I see some hairy algae forming in the backside according to the reflection, I would try to pull as much of that off as I can now before it takes hold.

No Hairy Algae in my tank at all. Nothing but good ole Hard Green algae which is just a fase. No spikes and water has been stable!

That is the easiest clam to keep in the reef world. I bet with my 72 watts of PC lighting will be more than enough to keep a clam of that size alive and that species.

Tang has been in there now for 2 weeks and looking killer. Of course he will have to leave in a few months to move onto a larger tank. He was purchased for my son!

sbwood007 - I will get some new photos tonight of all of my new peices. Frog Spawn, The Yellow Tipped Sun Zoos, Blastos, Nudebrank, Anenome Crab, Killer Shrooms and much more. It was good to meet you at the LFS. Maybe some time we could go for some BEERS and such in Addison.:)

Ok Here ya go!

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

57.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

The new Yellow Zoos my Emerald Crab just got off so they polyps are in.:) These have to be the brightest yellow zoos I have seen.

qwertyuiop

HOLY MOLY!!!!!!!!!!!!THAT IS A PRETTY SWEET TANK! those are some hott blastos...i like the clam, but its mantle should be completely open...try putting it higher in the tank (if not it should work out for it)...but other than that...GREAT!!!

I did not think his mantle got any larger...He is wide open on the bottom right now. I might try him higher up as I might re-arrange next week. Thanks for the comments. It's been set up for about a month now.:)

I have only 2 comments:

1. Extreme bioload with your large cleanup crew, nudibranch, reef lobster, goby, wrasse, and tang.

2. Please do reserch before purchasing livestock. Quote about lettuce sea slug by http://www.marinedepotlive.com/1223734.html:"Unfortunately, few efforts at keeping them in captivity have been successful"

It was bad when I first saw the tang, but this is getting out of hand..

I got him for the main purpose of Algae eater ONLY. And many of the others they don't even know what they eat still. I know they are all hard to keep but I figured I would give him a shot. If he last for 6 months I got every bit out of it of what I wanted. And the tang is only in here for 3 months maybe. Not a big deal, I have a more or less I can do anything with the LFS, and anything I have brought back always looked better than when I took it.:)

You should see the other Tangs in all of the LFS. Mine looks better than all of them and I bet he will live longer as well. Most of them in the LFS die off in what,maybe 3 weeks due to stress from people being in and out of the tank all of the time. These fish a very fraggle!! I will enjoy him for some time until he is too big which will come in 3-5 months.

I do about 2 water changes a week right now and all of my levels have not changed. Running the refugium in the back with LR and soon to come Custom Protein Skimmer for the 1st chamber.:)

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

58.jpg

artarmon42

The Derasa looks small (< 3"). At that size, it doesn't photosynthesis alot (i.e. lighting is irrelevant). But you should be feeding it using phyto.

Interesting, clams like nitrate water, so it should actually be helping the bioload situation.

lol...I do Phyto feeding in small amounts once a week. Day before big clean on Saturdays.

Thank you artarmon about the clam. That is what I read as well about the size and the species among other things about it. My LFS is not selling me crap to just put in. I spend hours there due to working on there site and it's not about them making money off me putting crap in my tank.

The nudibranch is one of the easiest to keep if your going to keep any. Again most feed on who knows what. At least in this species there feeding habits are pretty basic. ALGAE!!

K, I was doing 1/4 caps once a week. I will try smaller amounts on a regular basis.:)

Thanks,

Web Guy

You know, That is one cool image of that small crab under the Brain Coral. I like how he fans the water and filters it to eat.

45.jpg

Night shot of the Green Frog Spawn with purple or blueish tips:)

61.jpg

Giant Mushroom Cup feeding at night. They roll up in cup, some time with just a little hole open at the end for a trap.

60.jpg

Well it sounds like you've got everything under control. Sorry if I sounded harsh (I care for all corals and fishes).

I watch my tank like a Hawk!!...It's an obsession. No really!:)

Give it a few months and let it all grow in. I am probably going to replace a few peices of the larger rock with some nice large zoo peices on LR. They had a nice plate peice in today covered from head to toe with bright orange and other colored zoos. Might wait a while and re-arrange in a few months when I pull the tang. That's probably the best idea for the least amount of stress on him. The wrasse could care less!

Very nice tank! My opinion on the load of the tank: Over 13yrs ago, I had a 70g reef and most of the reef keeping folks around here would not recommend anything under 55g in those days. To have a 12g with this much would have been unthinkable back then. Now, I see pics of beautiful 12g nanos all over the net. I have a 12g NC on order with upgrades. I figure in 5yrs it will be common to see a Tang in a 12g and it won't be any crime. Yours seems to be thriving. Just my two penneth.

Ya, but of course he will have to leave in about 4-6 months. Maybe sooner! And I also set my tank up for fish as well not just corals as allot of others do. So there are many caves, hollow rocks with caves in them, covered areas to hide and much more for a 12G. I use to have a 75G, 40G Deep, and then the 30G Fresh. I just don't have the room for that after taking some time off of it for a while. This is my first leap back into it. So far so good:) And it fits perfect between the couch and the chair next to it.

Also, I think the Tang grouping up with the Wrasse has helped allot. They don't go anywhere without each other in the tank. I am sure that takes stress off of him. I know he stresses out much easier when I am in the tank than the wrasse does. I am sure as he is in there longer with time that will change as well.

shao-lin nano

Nice tank web, like the variety of fish and corals. Rockwork is sweet too. Hope you maintain a healthy tank with the amount of bioload and prove everyone wrong and push the limit of nano reefs.

Archived