SaltCritters.com

Starting with a 6g

ifringe

Hello!

I just purchased a brand-new, spiffy, 6g Nanocube. I could not be more pleased with this, and I am gearing up to start. I have kept freshwater fish for years, and feel it is time to jump into the fray with saltwater. Besides, I adore the self-contained look of the Nanocube.

My goal is to create a Florida Keys biotope. I really like the area, but, I don't think it will work out that I can get back there anytime soon. So clearly, if I can't go there, then it must come here. :)

From reading the posts here, it seems that I probably want to make a few "adjustments". I am not that handy with modifications, but that, alas, has never really stopped me before.

1. I am VERY noise adverse (because I work long hours from home; I have been chasing the ideal of a quiet PC and I am getting pretty close). So, I am guessing that replacing the stock fans with some quiet ones is not that big of a deal.

2. It seems, from what I can tell, that a general consensus is to place a sponge in the first chamber, some live rock rubble in the second, and the heater, pump and purigen in the third.

3. The stock pump does not seem to be very popular, so I probably want to replace it. The MJ 606 seems to be popular here.

4. I sense a lot of enthusiasm for going with a wave-timer device. The Chauvet seems like a good choice.

And now, of course, a few questions. What would a post be without a question or two or ten? :

The hood just pulls straight up and off, right?

I can just replace the stock fans without having to put in a voltage adapter?

TWO pumps SEEM like a good idea. I saw a post where the first chamber had a pump installed in it as well. But if I have pumps in chambers 1 and 3, how does that actually provide filter circulation? I can't see how water would flow through the grill, through the second chamber, and into the third to get pumped out?

I assume hooking the pumps up to the wave timer device will not hurt them, right?

I would like to hook up the moonlights and the mainlights to a timer (I use X10 in my house), but because of the three-position switch that does not appear possible. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

And finally, there seems to be a lot of discussion of using Actinic lighting for dawn/dusk effects. How important is that? I saw a kit for this on EBay? Is this something I want/need to put in?

Thank you very much for your time!

david

david you seem to be on the right track.

but one of the best things you can do to your cube is to add a cassette tape cover for a skimmer. do a search for it and you ll find a great thread that talks about it. it completly removes the surface scum.

Ah. To reply to myself. :)

I just talked to Chris at nanocustoms, and have decided to send my hood into him for the fan/light/switch upgrade. I think that will work out fine.

However, my pump question remains.

(Thanks for the skimmer comment: I did see that thread, and I think it is something that I can do. Maybe :D )

david

ifringe, how much did he say that will cost if you send in yoru hood?

as for pump. if you upgrade to a minijet 606 you should get better flow. i plan to add an additional pump in chamber 3 , that wil loop around over top of the back wall. but as for now im contenct wiht the blow from the 606.

Funny you should mention that :)

I do not know just yet. I am still working out what lighting package I need; this will depend on what type of coral I end up with. But, it is -$60 for me to send in my hood.

Are you saying that I am OK with a single 606 pump?

Thank you!

david

One 606 would probably be fine. If you really wanted to get fancy you could drill yourself a bulkhead into the 2nd chamber, which a couple of us have done. I chose to run one 606 in my 3rd chamber and one in my 2nd chamber and each was hooked up to it's own return. I'm not a big fan of a 2nd pump in the 1st chamber pushing water out of the grate, but maybe that's just me. I did this on my 12g, but I'm sure it could be done on the 6g although using two of the smaller minijets might work better than two 606's in a 6g. Here's my thread on the subject:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=56009

In my opinion, you should be happy with sending in your hood for a lighting upgrade. The stock 18w is pretty weak. I assume you're upgrading to the 54w hood. This should be a healthy upgrade for a tank that size.

As for the skimmer box. I built my own and I also tried the tape cassette mod. I personally ended up liking my mod better, but this did require DIY work and the cassette mod is definately faster and easier. I posted in this thread about 1/2 way down the page regarding my design:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...20&pagenumber=3

Thank you, Nick. Neat touch with the skimmer box.

So.... in a PM Tigahboy reaffirmed that this is a good mod to try, and so I shall.

I was thinking of putting live rock rubble in the second chamber. Do you have anything in the second chamber besides the pump? What fills your first chamber?

Yes, I am going for the 54W hood. After thinking about it a bit, I decided there really wasn't much of a decision there, after all. :)

So many questions! Thank you for your patience!

david

newbiecarlz

sounds good, are you going to enter it into the competiton?

in my 12g i just have LR rubble in the first chamber and nothing else. its really up to you!

I have a little bit of rubble in my 1st and 3rd chamber, but not a lot. I think having the rubble helps for more surface area, but I think where the rubble rock would really shine is with additional fuge lighting so any LR put in the back at least has a shot at staying "live". I think the extra light would help keep some additional bacteria alive, which would help keep your water cleaner. Not to mention you could then add cheato to the back to help out with phosphates, etc.

ifringe, if you get a cost on sending yoru hood out for work with nanocustoms for 54 wts , please post it. ive sent them a couple of emails and have not recd a respone.

thanks

Embryo:

I found the prices from his site www.nanocustoms.com. Incidently, I realized that it was a cost savings to me to return my existing, unused, Nanocube and simply order the entire modded product from Chris.

Thanks!

david

Sorry for the threadjack -

My service provider has some pretty strict spam filters, so if you arent sending from a Fully Qualified Domain Name, it rejects the emails.

I will be working on this problem. If anyone continues to have this issue, im just a phone call away. Also, I dont seem to have issues if the emails are sent via the sites form.

Chris

Archived