Coral Vue Hydros

Quick NC trick for water changes

Chronicles

Chronicles

I've heard of people running the HOT Mag to polish water after making a "crap" storm. I on the other hand found a cheaper fix. When making my water change I make a small "crap storm" and place a 50 or 100 micron filter pad on the intake.

p30111b.jpg

$6 and it's a 18" x 30" sheet. You can also rinse it off by flowing water through it backwards, against the "crap". Not that big of a deal, but maybe something someone hasn't thought of yet X) Just hold it against the faucet forcing the water through the back, and it will turn from brown back to white. Let air dry and store for next water change. :happy:

Chronicles

People buy the HOT Magnum

con_pic2_hotmag.jpg

They hang it on the tank after doing a water change and stirring up the junk in the tank using something like a turkey baster. They use the included Micron Cartridge to polish the water.

burtbollinger

so, folks put a hang on filter on the tank for a while after a water change?

I'm noob.

Thanks!

JayGlaze379

I do every once in a while. I don't know how effective it is, since my tank is never really that dirty, but since I have a magnum just sitting around anyway, I figure what the hell

Chronicles

Just do my trick, it'll cost you $6 and since you just rinse the crap away, it'll last a long long time, at least 2 years assuming you use it 4 times in a month then throw that sheet away.

I how much do you guys "stir up" the tank? Do you guys blow all the gunk off the live rocks and turn up the sand? Will it hurt the live sand if i kick it up?

~randy

Have you tossed all your stock sponges?

If not put one in the right compartment near the surface and one in the left compartment. I too have a pump in the left compartment ( and overflow mod ) but notched a sponge to fit over and around it to help clean the water.

When I do a water change I keep my second pump on, a maxi 404, which helps cycle the water through the filters quicker.

From murk to clear in under 10 minutes easy. And never very murky as the sponges catch much of it as it tries to get out initially.

Didn't cost me a thing.

Chronicles

I was talking for people who turkey baste their LR every water change. I only use 1 stock sponge which I cut in half to hold my filter floss in place.

If I was to turkey baste my LR I'd keep the pump on to try to capture what got stired up with the sponge.

IMO turkey basting your LR is a mistake, if the flow of your tank isn't moving it around you probably shouldn't either.

Not to say I haven't, but I'm past it these days.

I don't use any sponges or floss in my tank, it will end up filtering out things that are better left in there. I run carbon about 50% of the time, when I do water changes or when things are heading some what south. :)

The joys of having 12 g's to deal with.

If you want to stir up your sand buy a pistol shrimp.

Chronicles

I don't think you're understanding the idea. You place this over the intake for about 10-15min, it filters 50 microns and above. A sponge won't catch anything compared to what this thing does.

I told art to turn off his pump blowing out the intake, not his return pump. I think you need to read this thread again, and floss won't fiter out anything that needs to be there.

Here is the H.O.T. Magnum way of clearing the water. I think this method would work better than Chronicles (sorry) because it is sucking in and forcing the water through the filtration pad. But, if you don't want to spend the money on the Magnum, Chronicles idea should work great.

Archived