SaltCritters.com

Chemi-Pure Yes Or No?

Web Guy

Just debating on rather to run Chemi-Pure in the back. I am currently running LR in chamber 2 stacked to the top and the heater and pump in the 3rd. Stock pump and one foam pad in chamber 1. So do you guys run this? I have heard good things so far. Just wanted to get more feedback.

Thanks!

artarmon42

As long as you view Chemi-pure as activated carbon, your expectations will be met. If you think Chemi-pure will ("as advertised") eliminated the need for water changes and other ionic effects on your inhabitant's well being, you'll be sadly disappointed :)

I used to use Purigen (as a water polisher) and switched to Chemi-Pure. I intend to switch back to Purigen in another month (when the 3 month period is up), as I find the water looking better with Purigen.

Chronicles

I used it one time, didn't like it at all. I run seachem stuff, phosgaurd mixed with renew (better then carbon for reefs). I also love purigen, which I bought a small 100ml sealed bag, it's great that you can recharge it w/ bleach.

Phosgaurd + Renew = happy tank

Renew:

Renew™ is ideal for use in systems where phosphate released from all activated carbons poses a problem. Renew™ is also less aggressive than carbon, making it well suited for reefs and planted aquaria. Renew™ will remove organics and particulates in the sub-micron range; it will also help control ammonia, nitrates, and phosphates.

Purigen was the other ones suggested to me. I don't run carbon but every now and then to clean up the water. Because it removes so many trace elements as well I don't use it much. I guess I will give the Purigen a try. Do you replace it once every 6 months or sooner?

Also this below is the new site I am working on for a LFS. Take a look so far and tell me what you think. It is nothing more than the home page so I can show client tomorrow and then move forward.

http://www.sfxdigital.com/aquariumtradingco/

artarmon42

Purigen turns black when it is "depleted" and needs to be recharged.

Personally, I just toss is and buy a new pack (don't sleep well thinking that I put a bleached item back in the tank).

On my 16 Bow, I replaced the 100ml pack every 6-9 months.

Really depends on the bio-load more than anything...

Ok, Purigen it is... I am going to get my son and then off to the LFS for some goodies and a walk thru on the livestock.

artarmon42
Originally posted by Chronicles

I recharged mine one time, I let it sit in distilled water with plenty of declorinator for a few days.

Can you get rid of bleach with a dechlorinator ???

At $5.95 for a new pack of Purigen, is it worth finding out ???

:D

Originally posted by artarmon42

Can you get rid of bleach with a dechlorinator ???

At $5.95 for a new pack of Purigen, is it worth finding out ???

:D

Well, Bleach IS Chlorine. :P

I let mine soak in the 1:1 solution as per instructions then put it in a bowl under running water for 15 minutes. Then I put it in a bowl of water with double the amount of dechloinator. I let it set for a day, change the water & do it for another day. Then I do the smell test. Hasn't failed yet!

Hey Chronicles, No new coral. This LFS I went too is not that one I am building there site for. I only bought the purigen and two margarita snails. I am getting some more new coral this later this week as the LFS I am building there web site for because they ordered me a whole bunch of nano stuff just for me.:) Again you know I have a HUGE STORE credit with them for the site build.

Depends on how much waist is in your tank but thay say 6 months but more like 4 or so. It changes colors so it is easy to tell when it is time.:)

has anybody tried kents organic mixed bed resin? i was thinking of trying that but i was unsure. thanks.

mark

burtbollinger

Noob question:

Do I put this stuff below the sponge in my Nano or above it? (chamber 1) I already cut my sponge in half. Also, my tank is 24 gallons...is it possible to use too much of the stuff, or do I just drop the bag in?

Thanks!

artarmon42

Yup, drop the bag in.

Position it so that you'll get as much water flowing through it as possible (e.g. back chamber somewhere is good, in the middle of the main tank is not).

Chronicles

I put all my media in the 3rd chamber where the pump is. Drop it down low so it gets as much water flowing through it as possible. You don't want it onto of your sponge, because it will trap all kinds of nasty stuff.

P.S. I just picked up a big ass rock of GSP and a new cleaner shrimp for my cube :) I wonder if I have to pull my emerald out now, I don't want it eating my $25 shrimp.

My emerald has not touched my shrimp at all or anything else so far. I am keeping him util he steps out of line.:)

Hey Guys,

I just got some Purigen and was going to put it into my tank tonight.

Quick question: Does it replace the carbon entirely or is it added to the back in addition to the carbon.

Thanks!

Mike

I never run carbon because it removes to many trace elements. FYI. And if I did it would only be for overnight some time. So no, you do not need to run carbon with purigen.:)

I would not, that is why you run purigen which is not as harsh on the trace elements in the tank. Carbon removes all kinds of things your corals need.

Archived