• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adinsxq

• Orange Crush

• supernip

• oogie

I may have missed it, but would adding a gravity fed water top-off be against the rules for a stock tank. What if no mods are made to the tank itself?

If I were to get a tank, say july 14th (my B-day) May we still enter? I can only have a disadvantage by starting later right?

And yeah, wondering about the autotop-off also.;)

id imagine a topoff would be fine as long as nothing on the cube is cut which could be done since youa re going to be topping off your tank anyway.

Mr. Slo gets it right again. In setting up your gravity fed auto top-off, don't cut or drill any part of the tank and you should be fine. Topping off is a maintenence--automating it with a gravity feed is not a modification nor will it give anyone an advantage over others who do it manually.

I have one question about the stock contest. The moonlight on the 6g nano does not have it's own power cord so there is no way to use a timer on the main light and keep the moonlight on over night. This is a fairly big flaw in the design of the tank IMO but it is a flaw that is easily fixed. I wondered if we can wire the moonlight to its own power supply and still compete in the stock contest since it really does not change the performance of the tank or lights just makes it easier to use.

Originally posted by supernip

i think you should leave it at that. even the auto topoff is pushing it

The top off would have to have its feed through the front fip-up opening to avoid cutting, which wouldn't look good at all. The ATO for stock tanks is a very hesitant "okay."

yeh my thoughts exactly. I can see all of MH lamps surrounding the sides of the tanks now. Hey they aren't attached to the tank! Tank isn't modified...

Just kidding...Sounds interesting. Good luck to all as I watch from the sidelines. Want big tank so little fish can swim.

Is a Tang in the 6 gallon grounds for automatic disqualification?

gosh...!

What if I wanted to do a temperate tank, if I add only an IceProbe, can I still be in the open category? A heater is legal, is a chiller?

shao-lin nano

I think the rules should include only what you can do and use for the stock category. People are asking too many "What if's"...if it ain't in the rules for the stock then it's the open category right?

Originally posted by bgoode

What if I wanted to do a temperate tank, if I add only an IceProbe, can I still be in the open category?  A heater is legal, is a chiller?

You cannot possibly use an Iceprobe without modifying the tank. So... no.

Originally posted by shao-lin nano

I think the rules should include only what you can do and use for the stock category.  People are asking too many "What if's"...if it ain't in the rules for the stock then it's the open category right?

It should be that simple. I guess a lot of people are afraid of modifications similar to the ones you've been working on so they want to sneak into the stock competition.

Prospective entrants: If you'd like to enter a stock tank but the guidelines for that category are too complicated, enter your tank as open. Or, simply run the tank as-is, out-of-box, no-extra-equipment, and you should be okay.

Originally posted by bgoode

can I still be in the open category?

yes you can. Just don't enter it into the stock competition.

As a side note, I strongly urge everyone to stop scheming about a way to bend the rules when it comes to the stock competition. Focus more on just using what's provided. Otherwise, just enter the open category and keep nano-reef.com an honest community. K thanks

Sorry if I offended anyone. :)

I totally agree with you nip, this contest is all in good fun. If you can't run the NC6 with just adding a heater as hardware, then go into the open competition.

I'm scared as hell of losing in the open competition to people like Nip and Oogie, but hey it's just a contest. If I lose the worst thing that could happen is I end up with a pimped out NC6 :D

great comment supernip. it seems so many are trying to find ways to cheat in the stock competition. its suppose to be fun. not a "cat" fight :) i just set up nc 6, so im hesitant to buy another tank, and if for some miracle i win another cube, thats 2 more cubes, with a total of 5 ncs ill have to keep running. so.........heh

but it will be altesat fun to see others in this competition.

artarmon42
Originally posted by supernip

As a side note, I strongly urge everyone to stop scheming about a way to bend the rules when it comes to the stock competition. Otherwise, just enter the open category and keep nano-reef.com an honest community.

Word thumbsup.gif

One question.

Can I start modifying the tank before june 1st?

I won't add water or anything, just start ripping the hood apart?

Originally posted by darkspyda

I'm scared as hell of losing in the open competition to people like Nip and Oogie, but hey it's just a contest.

Are you kidding? I am just about the person with least chance to win. I am a reef-tard you know? You can worry about nips but don't worry about me!

• Recommended Discussions