Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

-> Contest Q&A

Orange Crush

artarmon42

Tigah: Put your rainbow acan in the stock 6, and you're in the winner circle. Put in your red yuma as well, and it's game over :D

Looking forward to supernip's xenia jungle too!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adinsxq

• Orange Crush

• supernip

• oogie

Xenia does have it's place, just not in my aquaria. I'd rather have aiptasia, LOL. ;)

JK!

Man, I was going to bring this contest to another level. Maybe I shouldn't say, since I *might* still enter (the stock catagory in case anyone wants to know). Muhahaha... I am the rock stacking champion of the world!

:D

artarmon, tigah, shinolin, etc, all the good nanocubers should be judges. so it makes competition easier for the rest of us !HEHEH

Orange Crush

Please bear with me in the next few posts. At long last, the official rules are on the way. First, though, a few personal notes and thank-yous.

Thank you to Chris for thinking a forum about nano reefs was a good thing when other kids his age were delinquents hanging out in malls.

Thank you to our sponsors without whom NR and this contest wouldn't exist.

Thank you to our judges who are supremely capable individuals. We have the utmost faith in you and gratitude towards you.

Thanks to adin, gil and chris - ilu guys :D

And finally, these rules will be moving within the week to the official contest forum. It just doesn't exist yet. Keep an eye out for it, and we're all looking forward to see what everyone comes up with!

Orange Crush

OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES

1. PARTICIPATION - Any member of NR is welcome to participate. If for any reason, a contestant is banned during the contest period, he/she will be disqualified.

2. CONTEST DATES - The start date is June 1. This means that nothing can be added to the tank prior to that date, including water, sand, live rock, etc. The tank may (and in fact should) be leak-tested prior to this date. The end date of the contest is November 30. All entries must be submitted no later than midnight eastern time on December 10.

Starting date picture: On May 29, we will release the name of an item. You must take a picture of your empty tank with this item. This picture must be submitted with your final entry in order to qualify. See #5 below.

3. CATEGORIES AND PRIZES

STOCK: The tank to be used is a JBJ NanoCube 6 in its original form. This means no light upgrades, no cutting, or sawing. The only additional "in-tank" equipment that can be used are heaters. There is no restriction on sandbeds, liverock, or species of livestock used, but entrants are strongly urged to consider what is appropriate for six gallons of water under 18w compact fluorescent lighting (if you are unsure of the requirements for a particular organism, please use the the new nanocube forum to ask!).

OPEN: The tank to be used is a JBJ NanoCube 6. This category is open to allow entrants to excercise their imagination with modifications. Feel free to hack, drill, melt the stock nanocube to your heart's desire. Any external plumbing must not bring the entire system volume over 12 gallons, and the tank must be identifiable as a JBJ NanoCube 6.

Open Grand Prize: Seacrop $150 gift certificate

Stock Grand Prize: NanoCustoms Larnie Edition 12g NanoCube (est. retail value $369.00)

For full descriptions of what is and isn't permitted in each category, see # 6, judging criteria.

4. JUDGING - Each tank will be evaluated by a panel of judges. Judges were selected based on their extensive knowledge of marine aquaria and nanocube systems. All tanks will be given a number score based on the criteria in item # 6. The winner in each category will be the entrant with the highest score. In the event of a tie, the winner will be determined by a popular vote by the membership of Nano-Reef.com. Voting will take place over a one-week period to be announced at the end of the judging period. Only the tanks involved in the tie will be voted on.

5. PREPARING YOUR ENTRY - A forum will be created at the completion of the contest specifically for contest entries. More details on this will be available as the end of the contest nears.

Each entry must be accompanied by a starting date picture (see item #2, contest dates) demonstrating that it was not set up prior to the contest start date. This is in addition to the 10 or 20 images mentioned below.

STOCK CATEGORY - Entrants will be allowed to submit up to 10 digital images of their tank. These images should show the tank's progression over the six months. Each image must be dated and may be accompanied by a description of not more than 20 words. In addition, each entry should include a description of the progression of the tank over the contest period of not more than 500 words. Please include your initial plan for the tank and how it evolved over the six month period.

OPEN CATEGORY - Entrants will be allowed to submit up to 20 digital images of their tank. These images should show the modifications made and the tank's progression over the six months. Each image must be dated and may be accompanied by a description of not more than 20 words. In addition, each entry should include a description of the progression of your tank over the contest period of not more than 500 words. Please include a description of all modifications and your initial plan for the tank and how it evolved over the six month period.

Orange Crush

6. JUDGING CRITERIA

STOCK

Judges will award points on the following criteria. Final score is an average of scores from all judges. Maximum score is 100.

1. Does the tank follow all of the restrictions to qualify it as a stock tank? (10 pts, entrant will get either 0 or 10 points in this category.)

a. Stock may not be cut, drilled, or otherwise modified.

b. An additional heater may be added.

c. The stock pump may be replaced in the event of a failure or by the entrant's choosing with one of equal output (106gph).

d. In the event that the stock 18w bulb needs to be replaced during the 6 months that the contest is running, the entrant may do so with the bulb of his choosing. Only 18w pc bulbs are acceptable.

e. Unscrewing the clear splash guard is necessary to replace a bulb. This is acceptable.

f. There is no restriction on ambient light entering the tank through the sides of the tank, but stock lighting/hood must be used.

g. if you choose, you can remove any of the included filtration. The included filter media cannot be replaced with anything other than live rock/sand.

2. Does the livestock appear healthy? (10 pts)

3. Has the entrant demonstrated he has maintained a healthy system under the stock conditions? (30 pts)

4. Are all of the inhabitants of the tank appropriate under the conditions provided by the stock conditions? (10 pts)

(The tank is approximately 9"x11"x10, uses a 106gph powerhead, and is lit by 18w pc lighting. Some examples of inappropriate livestock includes most anemone species, large fish, stinging corals etc.)

5. Is the overall layout creative and pleasing to your eye? Is the aquascape original and creative? (30 pts)

6. Up to 10 additional points may be awarded solely at the judges' discretion with one exception: zero additional points will be awarded if the tank does not meet the "stock" criteria specified in item 1.

OPEN

Judges will award points on the following criteria. Final score is an average of scores from all judges. Maximum score is 100.

1. Has the entrant utilized safe & effective modifications to allow him to expand the stock nanocube? Does the tank follow all of the restrictions to qualify it as a modified tank? (10 pts)

a. Are the modifications necessary for the health/appearance of the tank and its inhabitants?

b. Are the modifications safe?

c. Are the modifications reproducible?

d. The tank with modifications must not contain more than 12 gallons of water. If total volume is greater than 12 gallons, zero points will be awarded.

2. Does the livestock appear healthy? (10 pts)

3. Has the entrant demonstrated he has maintained a healthy system? (30 pts)

4. Are all of the inhabitants of the tank appropriate under the conditions provided in the modified tank? (10 pts)

5. Is the layout creative and pleasing to your eye? (30 pts)

a. Do the modifications detract from the overall appearance of the system? Does the final setup retain the original streamline look of the nanocube?

b. Is the aquascape creative and original?

6. Up to 10 additional points may be awarded solely at the judges' discretion with one exception: if total volume is greater than 12 gallons (see item 1), zero additional points will be awarded.

7. CONTEST ADMINISTRATION - This contest is being run and administered by the administrator and moderators of Nano-Reef.com. In the event of a question or dispute, the decision of the contest administrators is final. The administrators WILL NOT interfere with the judging of the contest except in intstances where the judging criteria is clearly being ignored or misrepresented.

Finally, thank you to everyone who made this contest possible, especially our sponsors:

Sea Crop

adview.php?clientid=24&target=_blank&n=a7386e6a

NanoCustoms

adview.php?clientid=55&target=_blank&n=ac1340b2

Open contest rules

3. Has the entrant demonstrated he has maintained a healthy system deleted a few words? (30 pts)

?????? Im assuming that was a comment to an previous edit?

EtOH_is_good

does rule 6g eliminate the use of carbon or phosphate removers?

also my question regarding the use of precured lr has not been addressed. is it acceptable to use cured lr from another tank/bucket?

can you re-write the tax laws while you're at it? i frickin' hate dealing with income tax returns. tyia

Orange Crush

etoh: chemical filtration such as carbon and phosphate removers are fine. No other biological filtration is what the rule is getting at. And precured live rock is fine. People will be getting rock anywhere from online to their lfs to a friend's tank to their own tank. It's not reasonable to try to regulate where it comes from.

Tiny: That's what I felt like I was doing. Cept I think if I wrote the tax laws, they'd be less complicated than this.

MadTownMax
...This means that nothing can be added to the tank prior to that date, including water..... The tank may (and in fact should) be leak-tested prior to this date....

how can one leak-test a tank when you're not allowed to put any water into it :P

The original statement is correct.

"Water" in that sentence refers to saltwater.

Leak testing involves filling a tank with tap water and then removing it. It is a temporary situation.

So basically the person with the best camera has the better shot of winning...because the exact same tank taken with 2 different quality of cameras will look very different....and therefore the pic taken with the lower quality camera doesnt compare to a tank pic taken with a higher quality camera...correct?

Nowhere in the rules does it say this is a photography contest.

Different cameras and photo techniques do give different results. We all know that one particular species or morph has the potential to look very different under different conditions. One exceptional photo of a frag will not receive nearly as many points as a series of growth shots that demonstrate the maturity of the entrant's tank over the 6 month period.

In a way, you're asking a similar question to EtOH's LR concern. The only absolute "fairest" way to solve either "problem" (as you see it) would be to provide everyone with rock to use and a the same camera to take their pictures. I think you'll agree with me on how unreasonable that would be.

Again, please make note on how the judging points are distributed. The tank that demonstrates best, the creativity and skill of the aquarist will be awarded the most number of points, regardless of photography skill, outrageous modifications, rare species, etc.

If you're having trouble with your photographs (digital or not), Gilman (of www.oc-creative.com/reef & winner of countless photography awards on various reef forums) is in the chat most evenings to help you out.

I must point out one thing... If someone sets one up now, it is going to be too young by the time of judging to show they have successfully kept the tank well. People will just buy a nanocube, throw in stuff from their 300g tank, arrange it real pretty and snap a picture. Are the judges going to pay close enough attention to the tanks to notice if this has been done?

I know the AGA Aquascaping contest pays close attention to this... they will deduct points if they notice that some species of plant was growing in a manner it wouldn't have and must have just been put in there the day of the pic. I think this is harder to do for corals.

hence the progression pictures. it will clearly be obvious if a piece was just put in or has grown there. i think the rules are pretty self explanitory and easy to follow. if iw asnt graduationg from school in a couple weeks id be in for sure. ohwell next go around

Orange Crush

thanks slo. put perfectly. sorry you can't join us this time, but we're hoping to have a successful contest and do more in the future!

• Recommended Discussions