Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hex Pico

BJK2

I found a 1.6 gallon hex tank in the garbage last weekend. I have decided to turn it into a Pico.

Supplies:

1-1.6 Gallon Hex tank with hood

1-6500K Compact Fourescent 10 watt bulb

1-Wisper 100 from 5 gallon minibowl

Livestock:

2 LBS Liverock

small xenia frag

some zoos

GSP

Livesand

Astrea Snail

Blue leg hermit

What do you all think? I am going to probably upgrade the light to a 50/50 bulb once I find one in the area, but so far I haven't found one so I'll use the light from my old fuge.

well I found a flaw in my set-up... the whisper doesn't fit. So I am going to run a duetto pump on low instead.

neanderthalman

Sounds great - coralife makes a 50/50 10k PC that fits inside that hood, it shouldn't be too hard to find. Should be fifteen bucks max. Contrary to mushroom head's thoughts on shrooms...I'm not convinced that they're a good idea in this small of a tank. They thrive......but there may be issues if they die....

One died in my tank and quickly wiped out another frag and some crabs in the process. Some members of a local aquarium society here mentioned to me that they've noticed that mushrooms seem to have a greater effect on their tanks if they die than most corals do. Perhaps they release toxins other than ammonia like some nudis....but again, I don't know this for certain. All I know is that I had other stuff dying without any evidence of decomposition on the mushroom...it had just suddenly exploded, and right away everything went sour. In a pico you don't have any water volume to dilute toxins...keep that in mind when stocking.

I'm also making an LED array for my 1.6 - Once my chemicals show up for etching the PCB, I'll start work and take lots of pictures - should be stupid amounts of light from it. A similar setup may do well in your tank, if you're so inclined.

Keep us all posted on your progress, and don't forget the pictures ;)

I don't think a 110 watt pc will fit over a 1.6, but I bet mushroomhead has a 10-20 gallon nano in the works

Archived