inTank Media Baskets

Tomato Clown?

FamousGuy

ah decisions...should i go with one tomato in my 20 (maybe 25) or stick with two false percs?  I know tomato clowns aren't as colorful but i have a twisted attraction to them for some reason.    I know tomatos get big... i saw a huge one in a restaurant BUT he was in like a 15 foot long tank so..you get the idea.  I'd like a bangai cardinal or 2 also, will they get beat up on?  Sorry for the "how should i stock my tank" question i know these threads can get old

In my opinion, the tomato clown will eventually outgrow that space.  If you're prepared to upgrade someday, then it's probably cool.

However, I've found few things more entertaining than a pair of clowns.  I would personally go with a species I could maintain a pair of.  

Ocellaris (false percs) are great: hardy, easy-to-pair, and quick breeders (if you're interested).  They're some of the craziest critters in the water.

But if you were liking the idea of something a little bigger/fuller, consider a pair of Clarkii clowns.  They're just as hardy as the ocellaris, a little more difficult to pair (but still simple compaired to most clown species), and probably the easiest breeders.  I personally find the darker ones very visually appealing.

Whichever you get, I highly recommend you buy two tank-raised juveniles.  They will be hardier, easier to pair, gauranteed to be young (therefor longer-living), easier to breed, and also preserve the natural reefs.

Good luck,

Matthew

thanks matthew, the lfs always has really young false percs for about 15 dolla', i think i'm gonna go for two and hopefully they'll pair off

Archived