Coral Vue Hydros

I need help with temp in a 2.5g

LukeP77

Hi

I have been asking around and trying to figure out if my tank is too hot. The temp sits at 85degress in the day with lights on, I have a coralife hood with 1 10K and 1 actinic. The light gets prity hot and keeps the temp up. The temp has been droping down to about 81 now since I lifted the light.

But what I want to know is if 85 is too hot for my tank.

I have been getting alot of diferant answears and, some say it should be no hotter then 76 and others say that 85 is fine.

So if any one has any experaince with a 2.5, or can give me a opinion all are welcome.

So please put your 2 cents in.

Thanks

I had trouble with my 1g. Try adding a fan, it really help my tank, the small 1.5" fan droped my temp 3-5 degrees. I think the actual temp depends on what you are keeping in the tank. I keep my nano-cube at 80. I only had one zoo polyp in my 1g, when I had temp problems the tank went from 90-75degs. at night. and the zoo grew 3 new polyps in a week.

from what I have gathered around here 78-83 is Ideal, but I havent been around here long, lol.

neanderthalman

85 is getting a little warm, IMO. The exact temperature that you keep your tank at isn't as important as keeping the temperature stable. The easiest and cheapest way to do this with a 2.5g is to blow air across the outside of the glass to remove heat. You can do this with a desk fan for a few bucks, or you can DIY a computer fan to hang on the back of your tank. I'll post a DIY thread on that once I get around to actually making it.

Increased airflow will bring your temps WAY down. This will likely drop your temperature too much, so you add a small heater. The thermostat in the heater will keep your tank at a constant temperature. I'm running my 1.6 like this, and my temp is 81F at any time of the day - no temp fluctuations from lighting. Constant temperature also means constant oxygen and carbon dioxide levels, which helps keep your pH stable.

Iam not using a heater yet. I have been keeping a close eye on the temp and it doesint go down far enough I think for a heater, the other reason I want to stay away is that I havint seen a small enough heater, that is a good quality. I dont want it to short out and cook every thing in the tank.

I might try the fan idea in the summer when my appartment starts to cook me. and for now its been steady at about 80 81 degres and not moving.

Thanks to all.

So I decided to get my self a digital thermometer.

And I decided that the floating ones that go in the tank are worth less. The tank was sitting at 85 degrees after I lifted the light. So I went out and bought one of thoes little cpu fans and wired that up and it droped the temp down to 82.1 and holding. I only run the fan on when the light is on. At night the temp drops about .2 degres. so not that much any more. I was thinking that I would give the fan a little more juice and see if I can drop the temp down to about 80 degrees.

What do you all think?

Archived