Innovative Marine Aquariums

How big a pump in Nano24? Need fast answer, PLS.

miamixj

Hello,

I am pulling out the stock pump and need some help picking a replacement. I have modded the pump outlet inside the tank with a plastic T-fitting, a spray bar and a flow valve to give me a drirect flow on the right and multiple fows at the back wall behind the live rock.

Question is what pump should I use in place of the stock one? Lets stick with RIO as they are most rediliy available and cost effective for my needs. LFS says anything over Rio 800 is too much for a 24 but I have my doubts. First, I take ALL manufactureres specs with a grain of salt and second the valve and T fittings combined with small size of tubing and hole in tank will take some gph away from any pump.

Here are the Choices;

Rio 800 flow = 225gph

Rio 1100 flow = 335gph

Rio 1400 flow = 402gph

Thanks

I got a rio 800 and it does a good job the only thing is that its a little noisy. I hear alot of good stuff for maxi-jet 1200 in here. I never had it so cant comment on it.

DamageInc

Sorry, no rio. I have the maxijet 900 in the third compartment of my 24g. I was putting another maxijet 900 in the first compartment but that was way to much flow. Now I am putting in a minijet 606 in the first compartment.

JAMAICANreef

i have a rio 1400 with a locline spray bar and that thing kicks...you will NOT need the suplemental pump behind the grate. Its awesome...the GSP love the flow.

If you like Rio, check out the HyperFlow line, HF8(550gph) and HF10(660gph) will fit in the back compartment. They are noisy compared to MJ, and they also use 30-35 watts, but they are cheap!

Yep, 30 watts for a pump will put out some heat. However, in my 24 NC tank I have 2 MJ 1200, 1 Rio HF8, 142 watts of MH & PC and my temp stay at 79-82 so far. Of course I have a bunch of fans and water evap is crazy, but I don't have temp issue.

i've had a rio1400 in my 24G since i bought it back in november, its quiet, and hasnt given me any problems at all. I also have a rio800 hooked up to my aquac, and it is noisy. but the 1400 is almost undetectable, and it creates the perfect amount of flow, definately not "to much".

imo

Mike:)

I replaced my stock pump with a MaxiJet 1200 and have a MaxiJet 900 inside the tank. I'm going to move the MaxiJet 900 inside the 3rd compartment next to the MaxiJet 1200 and attach it to a spray bar inside the tank. I haven't noticed much of an increase in temperature yet. I run the tank between 78-79F and leave the lights on 12 hrs a day.

I replaced my stock pump with a MaxiJet 1200 and have a MaxiJet 900 inside the tank. I'm going to move the MaxiJet 900 inside the 3rd compartment next to the MaxiJet 1200 and attach it to a spray bar inside the tank. I haven't noticed much of an increase in temperature yet. I run the tank between 78-79F and leave the lights on 12 hrs a day.

Archived