SaltCritters.com

fuge lights?

derekschwabe

derekschwabe

I was told that making the back section of your nano cube into a fuge w/ some cheato is well worth it and helps to keep nitrates down. I was wondering what type of retro fit light will work well as a fuge light. I would need a very compact, small light that will mainly need to cover one half of the back section where i would put the cheato. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

-Derek

I gutted an Azoo Palm Light for my fuge light. It's 7W, 6500k spectrum, and the ballast is part of the power adapter (so no unnecessar heat generators inside the hood).

Although not the main focus, I do explain how I installed it on my MH thread (see signature).

derekschwabe

thanks for the info artarmon. Im just not sure how i will fit it in there bc i already have a 72 wat pc upgrade with the ballast fitted between the two back fans so it doesn't allow for much extra space bace there. Thats one advantage i see with your MH fixture, more room (it looks awsome by the way). I also dont have a splash gaurd that big. Any ideas on how i could make this work?

artarmon42

Oh, you've got a 12 OG or one of the older designs that don't have a splashguard going all the way back?

I'd recommend you move the ballast out of the hood, for 2 reasons:

1) Ballasts generate heat, and you should always try to keep it out of the tank to avoid unnecessary over heating.

2) Ballasts generally aren't air tight, and putting it inside the tank risks water getting inside and/or on electrical connections. Salt water + copper connections = bad. Water + electricity = very bad :o

Once you move the ballast out, you could look for a "splash protected" light to put in place. For example, those Azoo lights are designed to go over open-top Azoo tanks. The electrical connections are covered from open water, and the ballast is at the power plug. You'd have to figure out how to mount it (I'm thinking epoxy, but that's kinda permanent), but certainly seems do-able to me.

derekschwabe

Well i have a deluxe hood that I ordered from Nanocustoms. It has a splash guard that covers the front light area and there is a plastic cover that goes over the back compartment where the fans are housed along w/ the ballast. It doesnt get very hot. To me it feels no different than when the ballast wasn't in there.

I don't see the bulb or light from the link above you used. Could you post a link to the light you purchased. I am looking into some options now.

Thanks!

derekschwabe

I geuss i have the older model bc the splash guard doesn't go all the way back. Anybody else have the older DX hood version? Were you able to fit in a fuge light?

Has anyone tried to mount a light to the back of the tank shooting into the rear of the 2nd/fuge area? The black tape on

Sorry..hit the wrong key...

The black tape on the tank can be cut out for a window or removed completely in that area. Nobody looks there anyway and all the cords we have hanging out the back would help hide it also. This would eliminate crowding and extra heat in the hood and open up alot of lighting options without any space limitations. If you guys (Artarmon, Shao-lin, etc.) can put a 70w MH in a hood you should be able to do something like this. Or maybe Chronicles can add a couple of MH's there with his mastery of Photoshop!

Archived