Top Shelf Aquatics

3 fish in a 12?

Chronicles

I have no idea when it comes to fish stocking. Right now I have 1 clown, he's a small male (was with a female, so I know he is male). He's about 1.5" long and is almost 3 years old.

I want to get:

The juv misbarred (I think they look cooler)

p_90001.jpg

and one of these:

pw71471orangestripeprawn_go.jpg

Any thoughts/concerns? The male clown now is very calm, and has always been, even with the female. She had to be returned with my last tank, she was beating the male to the point of death, and he was my first fish ever, so he got to stay. He never nips or shows aggression. But would 3 fish be too many?

Sea_Of_Treachery

3 fish should be fine, although your pushing it a little. The fish stay small, you might consider adding another powerhead.

I think 3 would be fine.

The risk of 3 is obviously water pollution (bad for corals), necessitating regular water changes and possibly chemical help (e.g. Purigen, Polyfilter, Rowaphos).

Maybe I'll wait then, I heard a clown only lives 3 years? My buddy should be 3 pretty soon :( I'm already itching for a big tank again. Parents own a laboratory and my mom wants a cube for the front office, so maybe I'll just sell her mine :

Not sure on the three year thing w/ clown.....I have had mine for 7 years!!! He is about 3 1/2 in long! Good luck I think the three will be fine.

3 fish should be fine. I actually have a true perc, a striped cardinalfish, and a orange lined prawn goby (the one you show in your pic). They all get along great - the cardinal and perc are best buddies. Just watch your parameters and do weekly water changes. I have many corals along with them and all are doing great.

sir winston mulligan

has anyone seen those morphed percs with the spots?? my LFS had one it was the coolest perc ive ever seen...it looked just like a normal percula but instead of the bar on the side it had two white spots..maybe if you can find one of those that would be awesome..

SaltCreep

I read somewhere that clown fish have lived to over 90.

I'm more of a coral person than a fish person so my opinion is biased but if your going to put in fish, only put in one and make it something that stays very small. LIke a clown goby. Anytime you add fish to a small tank your gambling with the tanks health and stability.

Archived