Pod Your Reef

where do you buy replacement accessories?

derekschwabe

derekschwabe

HI all!

I was just wondering where the best place would be to get the Nano Cube replacement parts like the carbon for the lowest price. Noone sells them around here and i want to order a bunch of them so i will be able to replace them when they are needed. Anybody know of a good, cheap place to get such replacements for the cube?

Thanks

-Derek

Nanocustoms (a site sponsor) sells lots of stock items (but I couldn't find the carbon bags bags on their site).

If you don't want to use the stock parts, you can buy aquarium stuff from your LFS or online at places such as www.marinedepot.com and www.drsfostersmith.com (amongst many other online retailers).

The stock carbon is just activated carbon of which there are many brands, and you can also substitute it with other water treatment products such as Purigen and Chemi-Pure.

Personally, I tossed all the stock parts (sponges, carbon, rings, etc) and replaced with Polyfilter (in lieu of the sponge) and Purigen (in lieu of the carbon). The ceramic rings aren't required in marine tanks because of the live rock.

Chemi-Pure is widely used down here. I hear lot's of good things about it.:)

And Yes, I tossed all stock stuff. I use only LR in back and one foam filter for now to cut out some crud, then it gets tossed. Hey artarmon, what does a polyfilter look like? I am sure I have seen it if you show me. Do you use that in area 1?

Polyfilter is about half-an-inch thick, stiff filter material. It is a synthetic mesh impregnated with chemicals to absorb stuff like phosphate and ammonia.

polyfilter.jpg

My chamber 1 (left, intake) is purely live-rock rubble stacked almost all the way up. At the top is a Rio 90 on a Chase Timer (wave effects).

My chamber 2 (middle) has live-rock rubble half way up, Chaeto and Polyfilter. The objective is to allow the nutrients to get to the Chaeto before being caught by the Polyfilter.

My chamber 3 (right, return pump) has my MiniJet 606, 75W Ebo-Jager, Rowaphos

(phosphate remover) and Purigen .

I am still cycling so I have no need for that yet. Chamber 1 is running nothing more than 1 foam pad, and at the top behind grate the stock pump. Chamber 2 is running LR stacked to top and digital thermometer sensor. Chamber 3 is housing my heater and maxijet500. I was going to run my Chemi Pure and other elements in Chamber 1 when needed. Or I could always move some LR over there and fill it up and only fill up half of chamber 2 in the long run like you. I am thinking if I have that powerhead above the chemi pure and such in chamber 1 it would not get passed thru my LR filter very well. So I guess when I find some more LR Rubble I will swap it up.:)

Because my display tank is "minimalistic" (some say zen like :) ), I fill the back chambers full of live rock rubble to make up for the lack of rock in the front. Most people probably don't need to put so much rubble in the back!

Mine is going to be real cavy with lots of areas to hide and go thru with reef and coral all over it. Some will be epoxied on to hang under upside down on my cave areas.

Ack, I hate Emerald Crabs.

I don't overfeed my tanks (lesson learnt from algae break out), and when Emeralds get hungry they start eating all kinds of stuff (Coralline, corals, etc).

Some people have had good luck with them, but mine always end up getting caught with a "claw in the polyp".

Well will see how he works out. I guess if he becomes a pain I will ditch him. I like him for now, until I reach the point with corals 6 months from now where the tank is full and if he starts eating. I dont mind the algae eating and such though. I just would like to keep it as natural as possible. I am watching him eat stuff off my rocks now with the moon lights on and it looks cool.

I don't think you need carbon per se.

However I like to have a "water polisher" in there (it makes the water "clearer"). That's why I use Purigen... all the "polishing" effects of carbon plus some side benefits.

The nice thing about Polyfilter, is that it changes color with "crap" that it absorbs. Here is my 3-week-old Polyfilter.

Polyfilter.JPG

I will change it this weekend, but it could probably last another week (it goes completely black when exhausted).

You may also want to consider the fact that if you bought reusable filter bags you can fill them with any media you choose including carbon for a fraction of the cost of buying prefilled bags.

Archived