Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Which Pump Upgrade for 12G DX?

Web Guy

artarmon42

You know, I can no longer find any online retailer that sells it. It is either back ordered, or they no longer make them?!

The LFS I bought it from had about 5 in stock when I was there this past weekend. I'll go back and so how many more I can pick up...

Yes, I use the powerhead in the first chamber to blow back into my display. It's used to create a wave motion (it's on a Chase Timer, on for 1 minute, off for 1 minute) more than anything else. It's the only place I can put a powerhead for wave effects (hate the look of a powerhead in the display area).

Just one little advise for all you Aqauglobe users.

You better take it out and clean it EVERY SINGLE WEEK. One problem Aquaglobe PH has is the steel rot breaking due to rusting. I know it says its salt water safe but I had 5 of them break the steel rod in the motor section. My 6th lasted longer because I performed maintanece by taking it apart and cleaning it weekly.

Otherwise, this is a great little pump.

evolution8888

Was this the new ones or one of the older models? I had read somewhere that the old ones were really bad. Was the new revision not fixed?

artarmon42

Quick update...

Early morning I turned off my pumps (was working on the tank), and when I restarted, the Aquaglobe "split apart".

The pump was connected to the rear tubing (for the return). When I turned the power back on, I think the main unit (with the motor and impeller) split apart from the filter component and connector to the tubing.

The pump was in the rear chamber, so I couldn't see what actually happened. But it created a huge racket (loud rattle of plastic against plastic) and there was a huge storm in the rear chamber. I suspect the impeller got stuck (there was some chaeto caught in there) and the motor being so "powerful" spun the whole unit around which caused it to detach from the second aprt.

It wouldn't surprise me that (as reported by Oogie) the impeller could easily break (it's thin and that impeller motor is obviously very powerful).

Overall summary: The unit definately needs regular cleaning. I believe the flaw isn't by design... it's just the super powerful motor driving a small impeller at a very fast speed.

So what did I do? I tossed the unit as it is a little too maintenance hungry and dangerous. If I wasn't home, the rattling inside the rear chamber would have probably eventually smacked against and cracked the rear glass.

Artarmon...the housing on the AquaGlobes don't lock in...a major flaw IMO. It comes apart easily to facilitate cleaning of the shaft/impeller, way too easy for my taste. What I did is to wrap a piece of Stainless wire around it to eliminate the prob. Since I have 3 of them buried in my 1st chamber I couldn't afford the time to remove all three to fix one. You could do the same thing with a tie-wrap/zip-tie that everyone uses to secure hoses to tubing connections. Same prob, same solution. Don't give up on the pump yet...I don't see anyone getting rid of their tygon tubing because that comes off. You didn't throw your MH out when it melted your splashguard, so I was hoping you would come up with a better solution than mine for the housing.

Another thing I hate about the pump is that cheesey gate for flow regulation...they kept closing when I put the 3 of them in my 1st chamber. I ended up removing the gates to give me full flow. I guess all PH's have their good/bad points. They're like my kids...a pain in the butt but I still love them. So what I have is a 24g w/over 900gph which needs a heater to get the temp over 74F @ 70F ambient.

artarmon42

Whoops, too late, it's trash ;)

The problem I noted isn't the fact that the unit detaches. The problem is the powerful motor driving a small impeller very fast. If you can imagine, what happens to a bicyclist if you insert a stick in his front wheel as he's travelling 30mph... the front wheel stops, and the rest of the bicycle (and bicyclist) spins upwards and forwards. Anything getting stuck in the impeller will result in the motor spinning the housing unit around.

That design is dangerous not because the housing splits into two. The danger is when the housing unit with the motor spins out of control in a confined space enclosed with glass.

But wouldn't that be the same with all PH's? They do have a screen that goes over the intake. Oh well, maybe I'm biased...I've sworn by Eheim products forever..their canister filters, Jagar heaters and now these pumps. Guess I'll stick with them until they go bad...hope not, I have four of them!

Some people like Fords and some like Chevys....I like Lambourghinis!!! Just can't afford them!!

artarmon42

LOL trumph!

After this, I'd be the first in line for any other pump where the transformer is OUTSIDE the tank.

I'm not sure why (perhaps the motors are less powerful ???) but other pumps just stop working when the impeller gets stuck...

Archived