Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Which Pump Upgrade for 12G DX?

Web Guy

I upgraded my pump to a rio 200. I was wondering what pumps you guys use and what Liters Per Hour or Gallons Per Hour does it push?

I also am using the stock pump behind the grate so I am taking that into consideration when I bought one.

Hey Skip, I was wanting to do the same to mine, but was wondering about the deflector...did you have any issues hooking it up to the existing NC water output?

I have read in other poste that the deflector was junk and restricted the powerheads. There are a few other threads on here and other sites about them. Most of the guys said it ended up in there junk box.

I bought two of the AquaGlobes after reading a different thread and I must say that they are so small that they look like toys!! So far they are putting out flow like the Aquaclear 50 I had in my tank (290-300gph)with about 1/3 the wattage and 1/4 of the size. I just stuck both of them in my 24g to see if they really work...lots of flow which is regulated by a cheesey knife-like gate on the discharge. Gonna let them run for awhile as a field test before installing them.

I could fit about 20 of them in the 3rd compartment of my cube and still have room!! So far the only minus is that they are not silent...they have a little buzz to them, but then so do I!!!!!!!

Bought two more of them before posting here because I was afraid of them getting sold out like the smaller models..

Just put in Mini 606 in my 12g last night in the #3 chamber and relocated cute stock pump in the #1 chamber blowing out from intake grill like many others. At first I thought it could be a painful experience - with the small area to work with and my system already running but everything worked out well. Suffice it to say I am very happy.

The mini 606 by itself was competent but the stock in #1 made a big difference.

BTW its my first...To the whole hobby I mean...This is fun.

lou52onu,

Will post some pics soon. I am sure someone here has pics of this common set-up. The stock pump sits close to the bottom end of grill suctioned at the back wall. BTW I have one sponge in #1 chamber. I like to keep the NC stock but my Torch Coral was almost listless with the minute circulation the stock pump provided. Before changing pumps the Torch Coral could only be placed close to the front where it was exposed to slight indirect current but now it can be placed anywhere in the tank of course preferably in proximity to the stock 12g DX light source.

I want to keep the NC stock but reading the posts here is gradually opening my mind to do otherwise. Sir...I wil resist.

Why on earth would you need pics?

1)pull line off upper return

2) remove tube and pump

3) pull tube off pump

4) push tube onto new mini606

5) lower tube/pump back down

6) reconnect upper to return

tada!

btw: I'd use a mini404 in the 1st chamber to blow back out. The stock pump will really heat up the tank. Running the stock pump in my tank (lights off) took the tank from 78.1 to 80.7

I flipped the stock pump upside down and mounted it blowing out the grate. It fits better upside down because other wise when your water is a little low it would pull air in from the top. It slows down the water flow thru the back which helps when using LR back there or other set ups. It also give you some more current on the other side of the tank. I run mine about half speed or less behind there.

If you flip it up side down it will fit with ease. I have only half of the nozzle showing so it bounces some flow to the surface.

I've got a MiniJet 606 as my return pump, and a Rio 90 in my first chamber shooting water through the grate back into the display chamber. The Rio 90 is on a Chase Timer for wave effects.

I used to have a Hydor on my return pump. The extensions that come witht he Hydor don't fit exactly. I used one of the extensions that come with the Rio 90 (it's in the box) to connect the Hydor to the hole in the Nano Cube wall.

I ultimatley removed the Hyodr because it's big (really sticks out) and stopped me from being able to mag clean that part of the glass. It makes nice circulation, but the flow is really cut down by the rotation mechanism (I think you'd need more than a MiniJet 606 to adequately power it).

The Aquaglobe intrigues me. Always after more flow with less wattage. I'll look into that, thanks for the heads up!

I've been running two of the AquaGlobe 300's in my 24DX for the last two days along with the stock pump. So far they're pumping as advertised and my temp topped out at only 80.1. That's with the stock lights on for 12 hours and the stock fans. That's a better temp than the stock pump with an AquaClear 50(270 gph)which would get up to around 83. Of course the flow is a little much with an additional 600 GPH but I'm just cycling the tank now and can experiment w/o hurting anything. I use one to blow the crud from my rocks and then run them both with their sponge intake filters on to clean the tank.

They are available in 100, 200 & 300 GPH. The 100 uses 6.5 watts. the 200 & 300 use 8.9

I'm running a Mini 600 in 3rd chamber, and have 2 other pumps on a timer, which kicks on and off every 15 mins. One is the stock pump, which is in the lower left part of the display area behind the live rock, and the other is a small zoomed pump I had with a waterfall which is behind the grate.

To connect the Hydor in my tank I took one of the adapters that fit inside of the fitting that connects to the tankwall and shortened it enough so that it would go all of the way inside of the fitting (the one that is like a ball adapter). I don't think that the Hydors really cause you to loose that much flow, I think because they spread the flow so it comes out of a much larger outlet it just seems like the flow is really restricted. Skip

artarmon42

I bought an AquaGlobe for my 12G return pump.

That thing is amazing!

Small, powerful, well designed for low heat!

The 300gph I bought (even with the vent mostly closed) is still too powerful for the Chamber 1 pump. But it's perfect for the return pump.

Highly recommend eveyrone check it out!

embryoguy

didnt realize this thread was available wheni posted mine. anyway i agree, i cant find the aquaglobe online. can you post a like artamn.

thanks

stuipd question. but if you have a pump in the first chamber, than are you not blowing out debris back to your display area? before it has a chance to go thru the filtering system.

i love the cassette modif. so i elected not to add a pump in chamber one. so im hoping to upgrade again to this aquaglobe if i can find one :)

Archived