Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ok, My 12G DX is Up and Running!

Web Guy

Here are my first shots after setting up the tank this Friday. I already bought a starter fish to help cycle the tank since my LFS will allow me to return it when I am done. I know the guys there and they don't mind helping me out. Well of course over the next 6 months much more to come.

So for now I have added an interior powerhead on the left. A rio mini in the back stage one fitler area at the bottom facing up. I added about 2lbs of LR to the middle chamber and mounted my heater in chamber 3. I have about 14 lbs of LR in the front of the tank. 2 of the peices I just got had tons of life and color on them. Well I could BABBLE all night so I guess that's it.

Thanks for all of the help guys!!:)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

nicee. make sure ya keep the aquascape very simplistic. i didn't konw that so i made and entire structure using up alot of estate in my tanks. so then when it came to frags and coral, there was no space for the LR it came on. so i ended up throwing out alot of LR. good start on the tank.

i would switch the original power head with the one you have in the display area, especially if it pumps out the same gph, it just looks better!

reef-zone.net

hey,

good start so far.. since you said you can bring back your damsel and plan on doing so, do it now. The live rock will cycle your tank fine and you'll only hurt or possibly kill the fish. Bring it back now and save it the suffering.

I plan on running corals, but I am doing a cavy rock scape so I can run a few extra smaller fish that will benifit from the areas to hide. I picked up a single neon green mushroom with no base and two zoos with a fan on the small rock today for $6.00:)

Now I wait the week or 2 and buy some clean up crew next. And then trade in the Damzel for something else after the tank is cycled.

He will be fine thru a cycle. I ran my other tanks with one in them and never had any problems or loss of fish life.

And on the powerhead issue. I am thinking about taking the new mini rio out of the back 1st chamber and using that where my older larger powerhead is inside on the left. I have that thing only running at like 15% because it was way to much flow for the tank. That is why today I bought a mini rio.

That power head in the left corner was in my 50 gallon some time ago. I had it and it works until I will buy I guess another rio mini or move the one in the back filter area up there.

the zoos probably weren't worth 6 bucks unless they were a special one (eagle eyes, safecrackers, purple people eaters...etc. hmm. at least i would pay that much for two polyps.

The fish will be fine, but unless you want to keep him for the long run i'd suggest you take hime out now. It will be real PITA to 'fish' him out later on when you have corals and/or other fish.

I got the 2 zoos, fan, and a nice neon green mushroom with no base for $6.00. Not bad in my area and that is all I wanted until the tank cycles.

The fish will come out before any coral and other life is put in. It wont take me 2 min. to pull him out. You guys also have to realize I have a 7 year old son who was about to DIE if there was not a fish in there for now.

Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, can we can we can we...LOL

You guys worry to much, getting that fish out of a 12g tank will be easy. Remove two rocks which will take about 30 seconds and I will have him.:) I did redo all of my powerhead set up's. I put my new rio 200 where the stock pumps was and I placed the stock pump behind the grate upside down and removed the powerhead from inside the tank. Now it looks cleaner and I will have more room on the left side now.

K, Updated photo below with new rio pump and stock pump mounted up side down moved behind grate!

8.jpg

Nice... You and I are starting the same time. I also have a 12G DX. Its been cycling for two days. Where did you get your live rock, and your frags? I am also in Dallas.

Stephen

I live up in Addison. There is a place called Aqua Traders Post on Midway. There small but really nice and have great looking LR and corals. I am having temp issues with mine right now. I pulled the stock pump out today. I am running the maxijet 500 for the filter pump and a rio 200 behind the grate now. I hope my temps drop. They have been around 82-83. If this does not work then I need to figure out which fans can I more or less drop in and replace the WEAK stock ones. If anyone knows please tell me. You can email me if you want. jasonpwebb@comcast.net

Archived