inTank Media Baskets

nano cube fans

patio

stoney waters

Larry is right. The fans in new units are powered by the ballast. They should go on and off whenever the lights do. Did you buy it new?

stoney waters

I would not run your lights for an extended period without the fans.

Did you buy the unit new?

Have there been any mods to the hood?

Did they work before?

When I got mine originally, the fan didn't come on.

When I called JBJ for support, they told me it was most probably the fan (even though both weren't working). They insisted on shipping new fans to me before discussing other options.

Of course when the fans arrived, it still didn't work. I had to call them back, at which point they told me they'd send me a whole new ballast box (the black metal box).

When that arrived, the problem was fixed! I then had to ship the first set of fans they sent me back to them (at my cost), otherwise they said they'd charge me. All up, it took nearly 2 weeks to get the problem fixed.

stoney waters

yes i bought it new and it is 5 months old

no mods yet!

yes they worked before

artarmon42

cool! did they charge you for anything? did you request new fans and stuff or did they just send it to you?

okay i emailed them and told them everything that happend

(i even used spell check and everything just so i would look better!)

stoney waters

I would first check the fans with a different power supply. If they work then test the inverter,its in the hood. If it test ok then your problem is most likley with the ballast. Like Art you might want to contact JBJ at this point.

They didn't change me anything and were nice enough about the exchange... but the whole experience was rather painful. Such as:

1) What's the chance of both fans being DoA? But they wouldn't entertain shipping me anything else (or additional components even when I promised to ship back anything that wasn't the fix) until they did it step by step.

2) I'm in Norcal, so shipping is reasonably quick. Still they ship US Post, so it takes the 3 business days to get up to me.

3) The first time (the replacement fan), the guy said to fax the receipt (to prove that I just bought it) and he said he'd ship it when he gets it. I faxed the next day. Called the day after to make sure they'd shipped it. Turns out they didn't have any record of the fax. Lucky I called, so I faxed again.

4) Follow up next day, they said they got the fax but the fans hadn't shipped yet. Called the next day, and the new guy I spoke to said he didn't have any records of me: no fax received, no fans shipped, no fans expected to ship.

5) I got irrate, blasted the new guy I was speaking to, and he said he'd personally take care of it. I got his name (Peter), and thereafter called him directly. He took care to make sure things got shipped, but he still wanted to do the fans first and then the ballast next.

I guess like most tech-support, you just have to struggle through it to get something fixed.

Originally posted by patio

holy crap artarmon42 i was just looking at the jbj website andnoticed the warranty thing! did you do that? because i didnt!

Hasn't changed since I did it.

I just called the 310 number.

See if you can get hold of Peter.

At least in my case, he proved to be a stand-up guy and followed through on his word.

"Please call our Customer Service lines at (310) 672-4021 or (310) 672-4099 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time for warranty claims or technical questions."

They going to ship you the ballast or the fans first?

You're going to have to pay to ship (whatever you don't use and the bad components) back to them... that's half the shipping :)

I'd tell them to jump in a lake. The dont have your CC or any other info do they? If not it will be very hard for them to collect anything. I'd tell them the components are at my place and avaliable for them to pick up at their convienance.

Actually the fans are powered via a dc converter that is within the box that holds the ballast. only the lamps are powered by the ballast.

Originally posted by stoney waters

I do believe that on newer DX models, the converter for the fans is in the hood between the fans and the lamps.

True. On my 24g DX there is a small transformer in the balast case that feeds 12vAC to a power supply in the hood. Power supply converts the AC to 12vDC and 5vDC for the fans and LED's respectively.

stoney waters

I dont have the factory moonlights on my 12Gal but yea. There is a little converter board in there. I disconected one of my fans from its plug and wired it directly to a separate transformer connected to a timer. That way I can run one fan during T-5 operation. The other fan still runs whenever the main ballast is driving the PC's.

Sorry for the hijack Patio, hope everything works out.

Archived