SaltCritters.com

zooanthid eating emerald crabs?!

nano_mike00

nano_mike00

did a tiny bit of research before getting these 2 emerald crabs to take care of this algea problem i have.

never in my "research" did i hear anything about these little bastards eating zooanthids. but sure enough right in front of me as soon as i dropped my new zoonathids in the tank he walked over grabbed a couple and cleaned em right off the rock!?

anyone else had smiliar experiences? if not then i will pass it off as curiousity and let him live instead of making emerald crab cakes tonight like i had planned.

I was at my lfs a few weeks ago and I saw an emerald crab all over their zoos. I don't know if this is commen behavior. Everytime I introduce something new in my tank my emerald gives it a pinch and then leaves.

crabs don't follow "rules." they eat whatever they feel like eating. no guarantee they'll eat your zoo's or other corals; but no guarante they won't. total opportunists. i hate those bastards. haha.

Emeralds have been known to eat corals--they have also been known to not eat algae...it all depends it's a hit or miss either way.

shaggydoo541

So far I have been lucky as my emerald has not touched any of my corals that I have noticed. But like others said they are opportunistic feeders and will eat anything and everything given half a chance. I just keep an eye on mine and as soon as I see him going after one of my corals I'll just pull him out as long as he behaves he will stay, as I find him entertaining.

Archived