burnahs 10gallon T5 mixed reef

burnah

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

I'm back!

sorry for the lack of updates, I started as a paramedic so work took most of my time, the new gf the sparetime..

i did some changes with the tanks, removed a piece of LR and added a bigger one, the acros died due to a nitrate spike, now everything is zero again. added a blood shrimp and some zoos and new montis.

I changed the burned out ATI bulbs in the t5 pendant to aquamedic, BUT:

-the 10k aquamedic bulbs are more yellow, which I do not like. Will get new ATIs.

-the aquamedic actinics are way better than the ATIs so I will keep them..

Also i changed it to 2 actinics and 2 10k from 1 atinic and 3 10k.

I also changed the mounting of the SEIO, I now get more flow directly at the corals, they really like it.

I ditched the plan on ZEO because I would have to run a canister filter and I do not want any external things anymore. the tank now has a ACmini with a small airstone skimmer in it, a maxijet 1000 and a seio pump. Light is a ATI 4x24W T5HO pendant, the tank is BB.

inhabitants:

1 small black occellaris

1 sixline wrasse

1 bloodshrimp

6 hermits

6 snails

7 different types of montipora digitata, more to come

some zoos

sure you want pics:

monti_purpleblue.jpg

monti_green.jpg

monti_violet.jpg

monti_purpleblue_big.jpg

FTS with actinics only

fts_actinic.jpg

and FTS with all lights on

FTS20.jpg

plans for the future:

I want to have more different montis, which is quite hard here in austria, but i hope so. I also plan on adding some acros again and more zoos.

hope you like it, whether or not, please post comments on my setup!

thanks in advance,

martin

really nice w/ the new barebottom :)

why add more frags? - looks like you have a decent stocking now, just let them grow out and fill the tank....

one of my fave 10 gallons!

beautiful background and nice collection of sps frags. Isthe flow enough now? Also is your airstone skimmer adequate for you?

keep it up!

thanks for the compliments, very appreciated!

flow is very good now, even the polyps the seio is not pointing at are moving in the current. the airstone skimmer pulls out one collection cup a day, I like it but I'm thinkin about gettin a remora. only problem with this is that it's not available here in europe so i would have to order it from the us.

• 3 weeks later...

update!

well kinda at least. I have too little time to take photos, but at least I can post here... Photos will follow later, maybe even today.

I got another seio 620 and got rid of the Maxijet, got a blue acropora, bottlebrush growthpattern, green hammer color morph and a white/ivory colored montipora. With the white one I have a collection of 11 different montis in this 10g tank, some growin good, and some almost nothing (the bright pink one)

my personal favorite so far is the new green monti, it grows and looks amazing, even more under actinics. fish are doing great, the new fireshrimp too. only the hermits have some kinda civil war at the moment, they kill each other for no reason.

with the new seio the flow is amazing, but in comparison to the videos on RC how the flow on the corals should look like, I would need another 2 seios. water movement is heavy from what I can tell, but the polyps do not move as much as I expected...

hey burnahs,

I don't know if you already stated before or not.. but i read through your thread, i didn't see you mention anywhere what kind of 10 gallons tank it is. It is not a AGA 10 gallons right? What is is and where did you buy it from.. i really like it.

Thanks.

yep 2 seios, total turnover about 170X with the ac mini but It sounds more than it actually is...

its a standard glass tank from the fish shop, but I dont really like it. planning on having a custom starphire 15g tank made...

no sweat burnah, i was just a little confused is all. i must say your tank is a true inspiration for me as i try to set up a 10 gal sps tank. beautiful pics too!.

UPDATE!

hey guys and gals!

here come the promised photos!

first of all, FTS

fts.jpg

some corals

purpleandgreenweb.jpg

corals under actinics

actinics.jpg

another full tank shot from a different angle...

fts28.jpg

the red monti to the left and the purple one in the lower left middle are new. my collection now counts 13 montipora species, but more colonies.. For Acros I have a bali slimer and a tort (I guess that it is one...). As it is a mixed reef ;), I also have some zoos and a hammer coral.

Inverts are:

hermits (decimating each other, not sure how many)

snails (decimated by hermits, not sure how many)

blood shrimp

I hope you like it! please feel free to comment or ask.. thanks in advance!

Martin

awesome! those seios are big , but not as distracting as i thought! looking forward to seeing everything grow out. do u use a refugium or a chiller?

thanks. yeah they are big but not quite in sight when you concentrate ont he corals. I neither use a chiller nor a fuge, only an airstone skimmer in the ACmini and the 2 seios, and of course the lights.

any ideas or other comments?

I love this tank. I'm going with T-5s from now on... point source shimmer my @$$.

Two questions... are you missing the sandbed, and how is the six line doing? Does he seem content with the size of the tank (not exactly sure how to measure fish content-ness but you know what i mean) They're just so active

thanks for all your comments, very appreciated!

I do not miss the sandbed as I have a certain idea of this tank which does not contain a sandbed. ;) The board looks fantastic and does not get dirty (except for corraline but thats ok) and from more than 3 or 4 meters away you couldnt tell if there was a thin layer or a starboard...

The sixline is doing great, eats like a pig and grew half and inch since I got it, is very fat and surfs the seios, quite hard to measure fish happiness like you said but I guess hes doing great. I still have to figure out how to show my clown she should host the hammer...

For ZEOVIT:

I threw the idea of using zeo away because I didnt want the canister filter. would have taken too much place and the plumbing would have been ugly.

Im using some bacteria for now, the manufacturer claims they eat trates, phosphates and carbs and make them skimmable. so i dose them every second week and an bacteria energizer too. They decimated the hairalgae to half in 2 weeks! water is much clearer now and I do not have to clean my glass that often! works quite good. Like zeo without the reactor...

greetings, martin

ZenMastr1968

The tank looks great, nice comeback from the problems! Did you ever figure out what caused the problems? Love the colors and the lights....overall nice job.

How do the fish and hammer handle/take all that flow? I think I have something like 25x turnover and it isn't until I shut it all down that everyone moves about the tank and explores.

the fish like the current, the sixline likes to surf the seios stream...

i situated the hammer on the place with the lowest flow, the clown stays there too but he doesnt host.

thanks for the compliments, i do not know what caused the problems but Ive seen that in some threads over RC too. nothing to do against, I guess the slime was introduced with a piece of LR and the tank could not fight it. It simply has no predators so It could cover everything...

ZenMastr1968

I did some research on the HOB (mini) you have and found one source that says it is capable of 100 to 33 gph of flow (max vs. min). Which end of the spectrum do you have yours set for?

Archived