SundownRocker

Whats the truth?

SundownRocker

Ok, so I am beginning to look at corals and crabs as my tank seems to be cycled pretty well. So, i went to my LFS who happens to be a nanocube distributer. They had several 24 gallon tanks set up with STOCK lighting and pumps. The tanks had clams, anemonies and such. I made sure that the tanks were stock, and they assured me that stock nano-cubes could handle these things (as their tanks had been running for about two years). To make sure, I drove out to another LFS nano-cube distributer who had similar set-ups. So, whats up with all the major alterations if these stores have great success with their stock nano-cubes keeping anemonies and clams. (And yes, they have told me that anemonies are HARD to keep in nanos period. They just said that the light and pump is sufficent.)

Sinistard

The first question I would ask them is how they have had the 24g nano cube set up for 2 years with no problems, correct me If I'm wrong but the 24g cube has not been out much longer then 6 months.

Next do a little research on this site and you will find tons of posts stating why calms and amemones don't work well in nano cubes, upgraded on otherwise. Clams and anemones need MH lights to thrive and anemones move so puting them in a small tank is dangerous to it and other corals you might have or get.

Also search on LFS you will find lots of info on them, for the most part don't listen to anything they say, not that there aren't any good ones out there.

Tigahboy

i've never seen any LFS's w/ stock nanocubes keep that kinda stuff alive for long. If they have it running for awhile, they usually just switch out the dead and replace w/ another. but I assure you it's not AS "easy" as the LFS's make it look.

Cesar

I was at a LFS here in L.A and I saw them with a clownfish and a blue tang in a 12g nano, so that tells you everything.

imareefer

lfs general rules

1. MOST dont care about the life of anything they sell , this means compatabilty, tank size, what to feed ...none of that is important to them.

2. the tanks at a lfs are their job, if you got a clam shipped to you every other day you might be ok with putting a clam under 13 watts of 50/50 pc lighting.

3. they are in this for profit, why ask a biased fish dealer a question that you could ask us here, where many experienced aquarists will answer gladly for free(most likely because we had to ask the same questions).

I live by the rule of getting my info from other people who are into this hobby as much as i am and then i take my pocketbook into the lfs accordingly, but even know if i can trade a frag for something i want then i wish i could avoid all lfs contact.

oh by the way jeffs is very knowledgable and probably the only store i would buy from.

mikedege

yeah everytime i go to my LFS they have different stuff in the 24G... go back in 1 or 2 weeks and i bet you see different stuff. I wouldnt trust them. I have a 24G been running since nov, and i have 5 acan lords, 4 blasto wellsi, assortment of yumas, and floridas, hammer, and candy canes. everything is doing great, but i know what kind of corals will live in it. i wont put clams or anemones in it tho...

good luck, Mike:)

newbiecarlz
Originally posted by mikedege

yeah everytime i go to my LFS they have different stuff in the 24G... go back in 1 or 2 weeks and i bet you see different stuff.

exactly. its a changing display. those animals dont live there for any period of time, they just swap them around for display purposes. im sure the tank has been set up and running for a long time, but have they kept those exact clams/anenomes in there the whole time? for example i could put a tang, an angel, some SPS and a clam in my cube tomorrow and tell you the tank has been set up for 10months, and i wouldnt be lying. i would just be neglecting to tell you those things had only been in there 2 days.

they're not all evil, but just take LFS with a grain of salt (pun intended) :D

SundownRocker

Sounds good... yeah it sounded fishy to me. No one has told me that it was a good thing, I just found it odd that they had one. Thanks!