Top Shelf Aquatics

Is it really worth it?

Sparkling_Surfer

Sparkling_Surfer

I've been looking at the 6 gallon nano cubes for a while...are they worth the extra money? Is it necessary to have a fan-cooled hood? What about the moonlighting? Can someone explain the reasoning behind it? Is 18 watts of light sufficient for a reef tank?

I want to set it up with about 3 inches of live sand, some live rock, a few corals, a few other inverts, and a Jawfish. Does this sound okay for a 6 gallon? And yes, I understand what cycling is :)

Thanks in advance!!

neanderthalman

most nano-cubes need more light to really be good for a reef. You can keep only low-light corals under the stock lighting. The nice thing about cubes is that there have been a million and a half lighting mods done to it. Look around the nanocube section and the DIY section for ideas.

Sparkling_Surfer

Don't jawfish need a deep sand bed?

"It was recommended to me a few years ago before I got ours that I have at least 5" of substrate for them to dig in." http://www.reefs.org/library/article/b_capman.html

"It needs to be kept on 5-7 inches of fine soft substrate such as sand of various particle sizes (not fine)."

http://www.etropicals.com/product/prod_Dis...=41&pCatId=1316

Please, correct me if I'm wrong :) I'm pretty clueless when it comes to marine tanks.

I forgot to mention that a 12 gallon nanocube costs just as much as a 6 gallon. Should I go this route? The thing is, the bigger the tank, the more sand/rock/possible live stock I will have to buy. In addition, I'm in college so I'd have to move the tank twice a year. Thats what I'm leaning towards a 6 gallon. What do you guys think?

Anyone wanna take a shot at my other (original) questions?

Hey Sparkling,

I say go for the 12, it's really not that much of a difference in terms of moving it--with that said, you will have more room and a deeper sandbed. However, upon reading up on that Jawfish idea of yours...I read this from the link that you placed:

They certainly are not fish to plan on moving around from tank to tank very much if you can possibly avoid it (I really don't know how in the world I would remove ours from their burrows without collapsing the burrows and burying the fish alive if I were to need to move them.... OK, actually I do know how I'd do this as I did do it once, but it was terribly stressful for the fish and I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to dig it out from under 4" of collaped sand without killing it). I've heard firsthand accounts healthy yellowheaded jawfish that were well established in tanks in a large marine fish breeding facility that died as a result of attempts to move them from one tank to another tank at the other end of the facility (presumably both tanks were on the same water system, so the problem was probably the stresses of capture and relocation)!

You might want to re-consider this type of animal until you have stopped becoming a nomad ;)...

Besides, the 6 gallon is new--there are still some improvements to be made...the 12 gallon is already on its second edition and is a bit better. The 6 gallon also comes with...18 watts I believe? The 12 deluxe comes in 48, that's a big difference and will give you more room with the coral selection.

Sparkling_Surfer

Aww, I didn't know that about jawfish...how about a blenny? I'd rather not get a Firefish Goby as my roomate is planning on getting one of them. Any other suggestions? Once again, I'm into unique fish with tons of personality :)

Alright, so I'm looking at the 12 gallon Nano DX and really want it now (thanks guys, lol). I'll probably end up getting that. The rules of my dorm say that a 10 gallon tank is max, but I think it would be pretty difficult to tell the difference between a 10 & 12 gallon. I found the 12 gallon for $150 with free shipping on Ebay. Is this a good deal?

Petsolution will match that with $149.99 shipped if you tell that aquabuys is doing free shipping. They have a good return policy instead of buying one off of ebay from a smaller seller.

PS: Still waiting for the UPS man to show up, Tank, Stand and LR will all be here.:)

Sparkling_Surfer

Alright, well I bought the 12 gallon DX :) I actually bought it from www.aquabuys.com I also went ahead and bought 15 lbs of Oceanic Sea Salt (makes 50 gallons). Is this a good brand? It was only $11.99 from a very reputable marine lfs. I talked to the owner about a jawfish and he agreed that they were weak shippers but said that one would probably be fine if I bought a battery powered air pump for the 7 hour drive. And no sand in the moving container.

I can't wait for my new aquarium! I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions.

It'll be pretty hard to keep the sand from moving during the move--unless you are gonna cover the sand down with something to weight it down.

If you want to buy 1 single solo fish...get this one: http://www.marinedepotlive.com/hefihe.html lol...that'll blow your friend's firefish outta the water ;)...it's unique, it's colorful and it'll do fine alone in a 12g, just don't be surprised if you find him in the compartments...lol.

On a side note...don't believe diddly squat your LFS says. Research it yourself--most the people in LFS don't know jack about what they spew out...if it's to drive sales. They once told me an anemone would do fine under 13w of lighting...actually 2 told me that...I'm personally iffy about that jawfish.

My 2005 Version 12G DX came in today. I already had water set up in another tank so I added LR and LS tonight in the new DX. Will get some starter photos after the water clears up from the sand. My Stand was damaged in shipping but I went ahead and built it until my new one gets here next week so I could use something. Petsolutions has great customer service I will give you that!

I love this set up! I already added a powerhead, took all media out of the back for now, and I will update the pump next after the tank is established. Next I will break up some LR and put it in the middle area in the back for filtration.:)

Thanks guys for all of the help and direction on the tank choice!

What else are you guys running in the back besides a new pump and LR for media?

I want to get one of these later.

http://www.petsolutions.com/Geometric+Pygm...C-16229-C-.aspx

One more thing, are you sure the one you bought from Aqua Buys is the 2005 version?

Sparkling_Surfer

I don't think it was the 2005 version. It said that it comes with a 50/50 combo light, didn't mention anything about a moonlight. About how much do those run for? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they send me the 2005 version, lol :) Can't wait to see pictures.

Archived