Tivoboy

Slot Cooler Fan

doncb

I added 2 2" CPU fans to the side vents on my 24g DX & left the stock fans alone. The interesting thing is that the 2 stock fans and the added fan on the left all blow air out that is about 80 - 85 degrees. The added fan on the right blows 100 degree air out. If you've got stock lighting I'd think about adding a fan on the right front and have it blow out.

just my .02

Tivoboy

I would suspect that the fan on the right is warmer because the bulb extends all the way to the right edge of the tank, whereas the bulb socket is on the left and doesn't have the heat as concentrated.

Anyways, with all of your fans blowing out, where is the makeup air coming from? Is it just air that is infiltrating through the door, cracks, etc?

I was planning on replacing the stock fan with the blower facing forward towards the main lighting and exhaust the heat out the two side vents.

artarmon42
Originally posted by Tivoboy

I was planning on replacing the stock fan with the blower facing forward towards the main lighting and exhaust the heat out the two side vents.

Been there, done that. It's a long read, but I went down the same logic path as you're on now, and it doesn't play out in real life. Having purely higher CFM (another plug for Chronicles B) ) standard fans is the better way to go.

doncb
Originally posted by Tivoboy

I would suspect that the fan on the right is warmer because the bulb extends all the way to the right edge of the tank, whereas the bulb socket is on the left and doesn't have the heat as concentrated.

Anyways, with all of your fans blowing out, where is the makeup air coming from?  Is it just air that is infiltrating through the door, cracks, etc?

The fans are probably pulling air in from the front. Which had the added benefit of eliminating the condensation that developed every night.

As a test, I took the fan on the left front and turned it to blow air in and the condensation came back, so I'm turning it back to blow out.

You're right about how the right fan is pulling the hot air from the lamps which is what I was hoping for. Any heat I can exhaust is fine w/ me! :)

One thing I think would help with the heat problem is to remove some of the grile over the fans. The slots are just too close together and impedes air flow.

Tivoboy
Originally posted by artarmon42

Been there, done that. It's a long read, but I went down the same logic path as you're on now, and it doesn't play out in real life. Having purely higher CFM (another plug for Chronicles B) ) standard fans is the better way to go.

That was quite a thread...

Unfortunately, the 24g do not yet come with the splashguard that extends over the sump. I am trying to kluge an extension to the splashguard with acrylic and am concerned about the clearance between it and the fan. That's why I looked first at the slot cooler. I plan to keep the stock 2x36w PCs but mount them in an ahsupply.com reflector to better utilize the light.

I am a noise freak - Which blower moves more air when undervolted to keep the noise down? (I noticed you tried the slot cooler and a bolt-on 60mm blower)

BTW - Have you tried a sheet of glass set on the splashguard? It may help to disperse the heat directly under the MH...

Chronicles

yay for plugs :happy:

artarmon42

If space is a concern, have you considered putthing lots of smaller (but thicker to recover some CFM) fans?

Such as the fans in these? http://www.nexfan.com/ev3f5bayhddc.html

I actually bought some, but never ended up using them in my mod.

As I put in my thread, I was a fan of scroll fans (purely for distance it can be push air). But "pound for pound" higher CFM (and letting natural thermodynamics take care of heat dissipation) wins easily.