inTank Media Baskets

Opinions on lighting upgrades

Fliger

Well I have several nice Yumas and zoos in the nano now and I need more light. I'm not a hardcore DIY guy so many options seen here are out for me. I do believe that a third 24W bulb (actinic) will probably be sufficient. Alternately I could drop in two 10W T5 actinic bulbs (Helios).

Both options are from nanocustoms and the 24W set-up is $90 while the other is $50. With the 24W though - it looks like it can quickly exceed $90 as a true actinic is +$25, power supply costs money, might need a ballast cover so 24W would run me over $150.

Are there other ways that might not cost so much? The DIY stuff kind of scares me. But I do have some nice things in there, probably about $500 in ricordea and $500 in zoos.

Thanks much. Oh here are some pix of the ricordea in there (or going in there)

RY%20002.jpg

RY%20005.jpg

RY%20008.jpg

RY%20009.jpg

Those are already in there, this one to be added this weekend ...

VNPRYC01.jpg

Some Tubs blue zoos and others. So I don't want to be too cheap but I do want to make the right decision.

Thanks!

David

stoney waters

In my opinion,your stock lighting with actinic suppliments should be sufficient. The t5's are a good choice. However, you will need to rewire your fans to run during t5 operation. This is because the ballasts are integrated into the units and have a tendency to overheat and blow bulbs when concealed in the hood with inadequate cooling.

Hi, thanks. Is it difficult to rewire? Or could I just make sure the T5 photoperiod remains within the PC photoperiod? I could put them all on the same timer. I don't need dusk to dawn, although it would be cool if I could do that.

Is there a stronger fan somewhere I could buy and install easily?

LOL Tigahboy, you're one to talk. I have your thread bookmarked. You have a one big pinky I'd die for.

Thanks for the link on fans. I was just checkin' out the scroll fan mod, awesome!

I will try the two T5's for now. Easy and the cost of bulbs so I'll just toss 'em and re-evaluate in 6 months.

I would like a stronger fan and to wire them altogether. Come to think, dawn to dusk would be cool so I can see these cool things in actinic.

I have a 340 gallon tank and the 12G has quickly become my favorite. It is such a great tank after a few mods.

David

(ps Tigahboy, those last ones get here this weekend. I should have about 9 polyps. After they can be chipped off the rock, I'd down for trades!)

Archived