Pod Your Reef

I want a skunk cleaner shrimp

linty

I want to get a skunk cleaner shrimp, and I figured this is probably the best way to figure out if it is really a good idea or not.

In my 10 gallon i have about 12 pounds of liverock, a curly que anemone (d*mn it's ugly...but very healthy), a peppermint shrimp, a yellow sea cucumber, some green star polyps, two flame scallops, and a vast array of snails.

I know I've made some mistakes in past purchases, I was young and foolish (a couple months ago) I even was so foolish as to believe the pet store people when they told me a choco-chip starfish was reef safe (although I didn't believe them when they said it ate algae).  

Also, if I buy a skunk cleaner, will I ever see it?  Cause I never see my peppermint shrimp.

If anybody can tell me why I don't want it, I'd love to hear from you.  

Exchage your anemone for the skunkcleaner... Cleaners are usually much more social than other shrimp, but it all depends on the shrimp. I have a peppermint who is always out and eatsout of my hand,,, an there are cleaners who won't come out, but generally, he cleaner should be much more visable..

gaber

vanillabox

I to plan on getting a Cleaner shrimp for my 10 gallon Nano.  This will be my QT before putting fish in my 29 gallon tank (under construction) and hopefully will help with ICK control.

BustytheSnowMaam

I have a blood red cleaner shrimp- he is very friendly, when I feed my clowns he comes up and waits at the top of the rock for his food too!  I think that cleaner shrimp are compatible with peppermints, maybe someone else here would know better.

Tasha

yeah linty, trade in your anenome. i have learned that in a 10 gal tank, there no space for an anenome. i had a flower anenome in my tank awhile back. the anenome was holding on to my snails and hermits with its tenticles. so i trade him in for credit. skunk cleaners are very social, well at least mine is.

I have a skunk cleaner shrimp too.

He is really cool.  He dances side to side when he want me to feed him.  At that point, if I put my hand in the water he actually comes right into my hands!

I was cleaning the tank last week (i had just got the shrimp a few adys before that) and i had my hand in the tank.

The shrimp came over to inspect my hand.  Last sunday while cleaning my tank, he actually came to my hand.

I then gave him a few algae/spirulina flakes and he took it from my hand.  Now most of the times he just comes to my hand to look for food anyway.

From what I have read on the net and what my LFS told me, this type of shrimp is the most visible one in the aquarium.

Though mine hides a lot as well, but he aint scared enough to not look for food in my hand.

Plus they look quite nice, better than peppermints and not as cool looking as the Blood shrimps but way cheaper.

:)

I have a cleaner shrimp in my 125, and he's way cool! :)  I always have to take a second glance at him when he molts..... He molted last week and left his body on the intake of the filter.  

Has anyone had their try to clean your hand?

I had three of them before, but they always got into a fight, so i trade two of them for some mushroom. but the one left now, he is the king of the tank, i have a pair of true clown, and a mandarin, that's it!! everytime when i feed, he is the first one that come out and take all the food! and i always see him killing some of the little critters as food! but that's ok, i have tons of them! anyway, i like him, so cool!!

I have a glass mediterenian prawn in my 30 gal right now...

the child of my country

wild one

I catched him myself!!!

ma the way he eats is thecoolest thing in the world!

and at the max size of 2" it is the best nano inhabitant ever!

and even hardier than a damsel or a hermit!

only a hammer will kill him! (no not the coral! a regular hammer!)

the cleaner shrimp fought with one another? never heard this, all i know is that the more shrimp you keep in your tank the more you will see them since they will be more confident.

freckles: my shrimp tries to clean my hand whenever its in the tank.

Does anybody here have any experience with curly que anemones or are you just speaking about anemones in general.  This one doesn't seem like it has the potential to get particularily large since its foot is relatively thin in proportion to it's "head".

It's on probation however and I will remove it at the first sign of a problem.

I am a little attached to it though since it made a very dramatic recovery after being almost completely digested by the aforementioned choco-chip star.

jjharrisx4

you definately don't want a cleaner shrimp.  They are always in plain sight, blocking your view of everything else.  They are ready eaters, so you'll have to feed the darn thing.  They aren't aggressive, so you have to keep them in a nice tank.  They never run from your hand, always jumping on when you're scraping the glass.  (it smarts when they pull hairs).  Ok...Maybe you do want a cleaner.  I know I want another one!  Enjoy your new shrimp!

Archived