SaltCritters.com

Worried about my picos water quality, please help!!!

kiltboy1675

kiltboy1675

I have a 2.5 pico that has just cycled and I plan on adding some softies. I am a complete newb and I am wondering what trace elements and chemicals I need to buy to keep the tank water nice, help is needed badly.

EtOH_is_good

water change for a cycled tank. maybe some iodine for softies, but regular water changes and a little carbon should carry most of the load. really not many additives needed.

For a pico, you can get trace elements through water changes. That should be enough

Plus, many refers don't support dosing iodine...though this seems to be in debate. Plus, in such a small volume it would be really easy to overdose. However, if you are gonna add it, add it in the form of iodide...the experts say it seems to be absorbed better than iodine.

But remember, only add what you can test for. If you are gonna add iodide, you can buy a iodine test kit...it'll work.

You however might consider dosing Calcium as well as iron if you are gonna grow macroalge.

neanderthalman

Don't dose iodine without a test kit, iodine is an antiseptic and can kill the bacteria in your LR. It may be easier to make up a large amount of replacement water (4 gallon jug?) and does IT with the iodine. That way you don't have to worry so much about overdosing your tank 'cause you can just throw away the replacement water if you screw it up.

Don't let anybody at the LFS, or here, tell you that you NEED to dose with anything. Dosing is controversial, and in my experience, absolutely unnecessary for softies to do well in your tank. It will speed up growth of certain species if you don't kill them first.

Archived