SaltCritters.com

Recommendations for sand cleaner?

doncb

Have a 24g DX and am getting some hair algae clumps in the sand. Any recommendations on a critter that will help keep the sand clean?

Thanks!

Many recommend a Tiger-Tail Sea Cucumber. How big they get and how well they survive in a nano is open for discussion. Also, whether they eat algae or just dirt; I don't know. The Fighting Conch and Tonga Fighting Conch are also supposed to be sand cleaners.

I am having the same issue with algae in my 24dx. I am picking up a algae blenny today. Which leads me to a question, is my tank too small for that fish? Everybody says to get a blenny to help control algae, but I haven't seen anyone with one in a nano. Just curious. If it works out with the blenny I will let ya know.

bob

SoCal Reefer

The blennie in my 15g jsut stoped eating and is paper thin i havent cleaned it in weeks and there is hair algea everytwhere. I would leav them to a bigger tank IMHO. My suggetion would be a sand sifting seastar a.k.a. tiger star.

SoCal Reefer

Sorry to lead you astray! That is my experience with mine it has stayed relitivly the same size sence i bought it

He's workin on it. It's been almost 3 days and he has the rocks and is starting on the sand. At this pace it should be spic-n-span in a week or two.

Bob

rbaby:

It eats flake. Sometimes though they can be picky. You will need to supply algae sheets as a supplement feeding. It is a lawnmower or algae blenny. He is a little big for my tank (almost 4 inches), but he doesn't seem to be bothering anything so we'll see how it goes.

Bob

I also have a lawnmower blenny. Great fish. He actually keeps my sand perfectly clean. I have zero algae in my tank so he is forced to eat the little algae that starts to grow on the sand. His belly gets filled with small grains of sand.

highly recommended fish

Lawn Mower Blenny is a great addition to your tank, great personality and they are crazy about algae. Got mine a week ago and he's great!

Archived