Pod Your Reef

feeding corals

konfuzd

hi i was wondering at kind of foods you guys feed your corals because i heard that the liquid foods will cause ammonia spikes in such small tanks

neanderthalman

I feed a little bit of mysis shrimp, or at least I did before an anenome ate my shroom. I kept feedings small and anything that didn't make it in the mushroom my blue-legs ravenously devoured. That mushroom was the only coral I had that I could feed, and I didn't really need to. Now I drop a little mysis in to treat my crabs every now and then.

What kind of corals are you trying to keep?

im just planning still but i want to get as much info as i can before i start. i was thinking of getting some gsp, zooanthids, xenia, ricordia and colt.

neanderthalman

None of those species require feeding, so I don't think you need to worry. All of those corals are photosynthetic, so you're good.

Happy reefing!

live aquaria says that they should be supplemented with microplankton or other foods for filter feeders; will they be ok with just light?

yes all of your corals will be ok with just light ..they still need calcium magnesium and i dose iodine for the zoas (makes their colors pop) but if you ever get a coral that does need to be fed , CYCLOPEZE and turn off the pumps while you feed to avoid it being wisked around the tank, if they eat all the food you give them their wont be any in the tank decaying to spike, other then what they poop out

neanderthalman

Just be VERY careful dosing anything in a pico, it's too easy to screw up and kill everything. If you do decide to dose, and you don't need to, dose a large amount of saltwater that you can later use for water changes, and do not dose without a test kit for whatever you're dosing.

Xenia also does well from iodine supplements, but I do beleive that iodide is absorbed better by all corals.

Archived