Coral Vue Hydros

Alanna's 1st Nano - Journal

catintat

Alrighty then ... I guess I'll keep my diary online so I can get some helpful tips and insight along the way.

I've decided to start with a 10 gal, but I recently saw a nice little 15h at Petsmart. I'm tempted to get that one for the extra height for some rock-scaping ideas I've seen on this list. Plus, theres a neat coral (a gorgonian, I think) I'd like to try.

Couldn't decide between a 20" coralife 96w quad or a 20" current satelite 40w, so I bought both and will decide later which to keep. I'm leaning towards the coralife. Better to have too much than not enough, right?

Black or turquoise? I'm going to paint the back, but can't decide which color. I'm really liking the turq though.

I bought a sheet of eggcrate from Lowe's that I'm going to put on the bottom for the rock to settle into for stability.

I've already got some rock that I'm going to use, but I want to find some flat pieces to use as a shelf.

Sand is a 20# bag of aragalive.

I'll add some pictures as the tank develops.

Thanks for reading! I'd hate to go through this alone. Lol.

Alanna

Definitely go with the 96 watt light, especially if you buy the 15H, you won't regret it.

It sounds like you're off to a very good start, good luck!

P.S. are you a member of CMAC? If not, they're a really good group of guys, I'd recommend joining. www.columbiamarineaquariumclub.org

Jason

Hey Jason -

No, not a member of CMAC, but I did just join up with the Greenville group last night.

I make regular trips to Fins and Fishy Business in Columbia, so I may join up soon.

Thanks!

Alanna

Originally posted by catintat

Couldn't decide between a 20" coralife 96w quad or a 20" current satelite 40w, so I bought both and will decide later which to keep.  I'm leaning towards the coralife.  Better to have too much than not enough, right?

sell both and get a 150W MH (or higher).

i had vho for a couple of years ('cause i love the actinic) but i finally got off my butt and installed my old hospital's 150W MH. awesome! B)

now i had to settle for PC actinics tho (bleah) but i figure the aesthetic trade-off was worth it judging from all the comments i've received. e.g. "wow, love your tank! where's the fish? X) are those real?"

:angry: mudderfrackas!

Will be painting the tank tonight. Woo hoo. I am putting a clear primer on first, then as a topcoat to see if that will minimize the scratches. Will post pics soon. :D

Thanks for hangin' with me ..

Alanna

Didn't paint the tank. Did laundry instead. The quad should arrive Monday.

I'm thinking of a pro-heat titanium 75w heater. That should be plenty of power for a 15 gallon, right?

Archived