Cultivated Reef

How do you measure the salinity of your reef?

Christopher Marks

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Swing Arm Hydrometer. It was actually given to me as a gift from a local nano reefer here. But i heard those Refractometers are really good and accurate. I want one of those.

Friskaburger

Refractometer... they aren't cheap though, but once calibrated are fast and very accurate. I think it's pretty important to have a really accurate reading when ur dealing with such a small amount of water. It's a good investment I think.

hydrometers are not expensive at all when you look at the overall amount you've spent on ur tank. 40-80 bucks..no biggie

Hi..I am a totally new to this and started out with a refractomer. Love it...very easy to use and they aren't THAT expensive. Drs. Smith/Foster have a very affordable one at $40. The wing arm was off multiple times by almost .004. I think that's alot considering there is a big difference between 1.019 and 1.023. SH

when i buy them @ the LFS, i get it checked by the refratometer a couple o' times. need to check out smith/foster for that cheap refractometer :)

I use a refrac and wouldn't feel confortible using the swing arm. Like steelhear said above. With a .oo4 difference your measuring 1.025 when in actuality it is 1.029, not good IMO. $40 and you know that what you are using is one of the top of the line instruments. What is $40 but 2 fish or 1 fish and coral, or half an acan frag!

oh, i use the glass floting thingy that was 16 dollars at drsfostersmith.com. works great. only drawback is there can be NO current whatsoever. other than that never needs calibration, and is very accurate (i think)

shaggydoo541

I use the foster and smith refracto, and I am glad I got it. I was trying to raise salinity based on my swing arm hydrometer readings (read 1.022 wanted 1.025-1.026). Before I did this I decided to get the refractometer and once I got it I found my level was actually closer to 1.030 so I actually wanted to lower my level. I would have wiped out my whole tank if I hadn't listened to those here that praised refractometers so much and led me to the $35 one at foster and smith. I highly recommend it and thanks all for the great recommendation.

For anyone who doesn't think its worth $40 for a refractometer, you need to try one.

Here are my reasons:

1) You only need a few drops of water to put on it. No need to submerge it like you do hydrometers (very handy since many of us only prepare a gallon or two of water at a time).

2) No need to worry about junk accumulating on the arm or glass tube.

3) No messing with tapping to get all the bubbles off the arm or glass tube

4) Works the same with ALL temperature of water.

5) Only takes about 10 seconds to check.

I used a hydrometer for a short period of time. I would NEVER go back. Best investment ever made for my tank.

any one have the coralife deep six hydrometer?

it has the little 1.020 - 1.023 thing that tells you were it should be/ someone told me that that was wrong what do you think it is?!

I have the same one you have. I like to keep my water between 1.023 to 1.026 Every thing runs fine for me :) It has been said that most snails need a salinity level of 1.024-1.026 to live long term...Just a thoght.

neanderthalman

I use a glass bubble hydrometer, and it worked great until I dropped it X) I calibrated my new one against a refractometer, and it's off by .001. The thing is, it will ALWAYS be off by .001, regardless of what salinity I'm trying to acheive, so I'm still getting results that are just as accurate. I just can't justify paying 10x as much to get the same results. You don't have any issues with gunk building up on the glass if you don't leave it in the tank. I can't think of anything easier to clean salt off of than the outside of a smooth glass cylinder.

mushroom head

The floating glass hydrometers sometimes arnt very good b/c if the salt creep starts to grow on the top of the floating glass hydrometer the hydrometer with sink a bit and u will think u will need to add more salt and then have to high of a salt level.

mushroom head

I have been reading for 3months. Ive heard of people leaving them in the tank and not leaving them in the tank.

10" Red Devil
Originally posted by Travis

I have the same one you have.  I like to keep my water between 1.023 to 1.026  Every thing runs fine for me :)  It has been said that most snails need a salinity level of 1.024-1.026 to live long term...Just a thoght.

Also dont overstock your tank with these. People have a tendancy to follow the 1 per gallon rule when they first start thier aquariums. There really isnt enough algae for them at this point, not to mention most snails pretty much only eat diatoms which can be scarce if you dont use tap water. Read Ron Shimeks new Invert book for more detailed info on snails.

This is not directed at you Travis, but just a tag along to what you stated.

-peace

Funky_Fish14

I voted refrac because I just bought one and its in the mail right now. I was using an IO hydrometer, but I cant wait to get my frefrac and im not touching anything with my tanks till I do. I dont trust it as sometimes I get weird readings after trying 3 times with my hydro and they are all wayy different, lol. POS.

Chris

Archived