Coral Vue Hydros

Best ballast for 48w of light?

SeanCallan

I just bought a DX hood from Naperville Reef (thanks, bud) and he is sending me 2 extra bulbs. That got me thinking.

What is a good remote ballast I could use to put about 48 more watts into my hood?

Should I use PC or T5?

Ok cool.

The hood I'm getting has a remote ballast. So I guess there's room in the hood for one too..

Is it possible it upgrade the current ballast to one that can power 4x24w PCs and just split it inside the hood?

Thanks Chronicles,

You can put the PONY 226 either in hood (cheapest solution) or in the ballast (a bit more expensive but more OEM looking).

The ballast lead cables arent cheap, but at least you have that as an option.

For some insight into the ballast side of the mod (bear in mind that the instructions are for the 3.24):

www.nanocustoms.com/catalog/pdf/324.pdf

To break down costs (not to the nickel)

option 1:

PONY 226 - In hood - $28.95

Option 2:

PONY 226 - In Ballast - $28.95

2xRemote Leads - 2 x 28.95

I always recommend a heat shield, but if you must DIY, its possible with the stock reflector as long as its bent.

To rehash my very first 96w mod:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=106w

Wow, its been a LONG TIME...

Chris

ps. I will be offering the 4.24 series in the coming month..

The heat sheild absorbs some of the heat put off by the lights, and keeps the lid from melting on you. I dont have DIY heat sheilds yet, but they should be in shortly.

If you can manage to keep things cool in your hood, you will be OK.

Chris

I'm new to PC lighting. All my experience is with MH or VHO over my SPS dominated tanks.

Would 48w of 10K(or 10K & a 8800K pink) be enough to handle rics and hammer coral?

Archived