Pod Your Reef

PLease help

FishFreak

landscaper85

CCJUNG I was wondeirng about that hood also. I have emailed you a couple of times about lighting, but my real question here is will that hood help stop the evaporation in my tank? My OG is losing water faster than I expected. So I was thinking about moving up to the DX hood and gutting my original ballast and 24w fixture and stock moonlighting and sticking it in the DX hood. Any suggestions for me? Please help because I am a bit on the lost side. Plus how much live sand do you reccomend?

Hi Guys,

To remove the hinges, I used a dremel, but you can use a hacksaw or anything you would use to cut plastic. Then, shave off the excess so its flush, a file or sandpaper works.

Landscaper- Unfortunately because of the design of the current OG hood, evap will be an issue and so will salt creep. Thats why my upgrade only goes to 68w (although it can be more) and I wont upgrade the 24g with very much power. I had a OG hood with as much as 82w of power in it, but was topping off a quart a day (huge in a 12g), so i downgraded the mod to 68w.

If you get a DX hood, it will already have all the hardware and cables to hook a ballast to.

The cheapest, perhaps most effective solution is to hook up a PONY 226 to it (the same ballast engine that drives the DX) or purchase the STOCK DX ballast. The PONY 226 will drive 2x24w and allow you to use the DX hood. The OG ballast is "junk" IMHO, as they tend to go out quite often. The new JBJ products (12gDX/24gDX) and all my upgrades run the PONY family of ballasts from Fulham.

Unfortunately, the cost of a hood/ballast costs ME more than I pay for a complete TANK, which is where the "TANK ONLY" comes into play. Basically when a customer orders a modded or stock HOOD/BALLAST, a TANK becomes available.

Its the evils of spare parts, namely, that the sum of its parts are greater than the whole.

I dont want to threadjack, so if you have other questions, feel free to post in "Open Discussion with Chris".

Hope this helps

Chris

Archived