Innovative Marine Aquariums

Are the Nano cubes having problems

dwdenny

I was wanting to get one for my office but I have read that a few people here and on other forums are have cracking problems. Is there a defect in MFGing them or is it just isolated incidents. I really like to look just not sure right now with the problem I have been reading!!!!

From what I have read, they are primarily isolated situations, and have only occured with the 12 g. tanks. I have a 6 g. being shipped to me as we speak for my office, but I think I am gonna set is up somewhere away from my computer and important paperwork just in case.

I have been waiting for someone to say that cartophilus.

Saw 'em off

The ones that I have read seem to be happening with in a week or two but I have read one that busted at 6 months. Just making sure before I fill the one my wife got me. She used the money I had saved for my 29g because I forgot to tell her my plans for the 29g.

first one leaked on me. the crack was on the rear of the tank up top at the corner just behind the first chamber, just got my replacement tank a few days ago, checked for leaks, no problems... set it up today.

shao-lin nano

just like skilter i had a leak in mine within a week in the rear back wall behind the 1st chamber while i was testing it for water. the replacement jbj gave me had scratches all over the front (curved wall). gonna try again. btw, it was a 24g.

I've had my 12g JBJ Nano-Cube Deluxe w/ Moon Lights, "Newest Version" going for about a week, I've already added the saltwater, sand, and rocks and it seems to be doing fine so far...*knocks on wood*

Custom 12 DX here from nanocustoms. First tank came cracked in shipping. Second tank was up and running a week and a half when i hear this loud CRACK!! one afternoon. Tank cracked on one side on the display, from the bottom behind the seam up 3 inches. Imagine the rush getting the rock sand water out before it burst. Tank was level, never moved full, and unmolested since set up. Go figure.

New tank goes up this weekend on a cork board base....(crosses fingers)

Jest

I wonder if the shipping might be the cause for some of the cracking problems. I am still thinking of buying one just making sure that there is not a big problem before I do though.

I talked to the owner of aquariumplants.com where I bought my nano-cube and they set up and tested my cube for 2 weeks for me to make sure nothing would crack, that way if I recieved it broken or it cracked later on it was due to shipping.

He told me out of 90, 5 were broke on arrival, and 6 were called in with either leaks or cracks within the first 2 weeks. They've redone they're shipping meathods, and have received less complants. So if I was a betting man I'd say it's due to the shippers.

I was thinking the same thing due to shipping. Depends on what shipping company they use but could be any of them for that matter.

Mine was not on any type of base. But I made sure to the best of my ability that it was level. I put it on a 24g JBJ stand for added stability as well.

I've read somewhere about success with putting the cube on cork board, so i will try that when i set the new tank up tomorrow.

I just had a 12 gallon shipped to me and it cracked on both sides. It was UPS's fault, so just a warning to ship them through fedex. They are much better with fragile stuff. I wish I knew that before.

I think its a toss up, I think on the whole, (jbj pumps out about 10-15k units a month) they are very reliable, but we should bear in mind that the tank is literally 1 Huge piece of U shaped glass, and a back/bottom.

Being as they are "stressed" to start, I can see that in some cases, failures can occur.

Shipping is a big factor, but i think the real issue is related to the stresses these tanks go through.

Also, remember that glass is an amorphous solid, meaning its neither a solid or a liquid at normal temperatures, and as such, the crystalline structure is prone to changes with varying temperatures, etc etc.

I say, if you have a nanocube, be aware and respect the glass. If it breaks, JBJ will usually cover them if they occur in high stress areas.

I personally have own a few tanks, and have sold many more. Of about 90-100, ive had maybe 4-5 sporadically break, 5 get damaged in shipping, and 1 user error (Brick.. peanut butter jar.. lol.).

I think that the cubes offer what JBJ strives to deliver, a good value and good functionality. Nothing is perfect tho.

Chris

hey is anyone going to answer what is cork bored im gettting the jbj 12 gallon and people keep say cork bored what is it where can i get it thanks

Chris: Thanks for the information. I will think about it and make my choice. I am in no rush just hinking about it right for now.

Cork board is like the cork of a wine bottle but flat and can be cut to shape that you need. You should be able to find it at any hardware store like home depot or wal-mart for that matter. Look for it in the school section at wal-mart or ask for it at home depot. It is soft like rubber pads sort of but looks like wood shavings compressed together but soft and spongey.

Archived