SaltCritters.com

Light timer question.

Djm9288

Hi, I have a timer on my lights. I was wondering what times I should program it for. I'd like to have it on when i wake up, but i would also like to be able to lay in my bed at night with all my lights off except the tank. But at night im up posting on this board, and conversing with you wonderful people. (In the summer i wake up around 10-10:30)

Sincerely

Daniel

what you are proposing will not actually work with the times you are awake and such. that is too long a a lighting period. id rather mine be on later since i am up late but they dont turn on untill i am awake for a couple hours....mine comes on at 11 am and turns off at 10pm....just my thoughts.

12 hrs of light is possible. i just like keeping mine on for 10 hrs and sometime leave the actinic light on because i really like looking at a blue tank.

I hope i can keep it on for 12. Is it reallyrelaxing to just lay there and watch  the reef just... well..... be a reef?

Daniel

My Alife 7

Mines usually on at around noon and get turned off at about 10. I go to sleep at like 1 a.m. so having them on while I lay in bed really isn't much of an option for me.

My actinic comes on at 9am, at 10am the main lights come on.

The main lights get turned off at 7pm, and then the actinics go off at 8pm.

I like having it this way as it gives enough time for the night creatures to start coming out before I go to sleep.

I love watching the night creatures.  Occasionaly I get to see something new as well.

Plus I have learnt the habits of the regular night creatures and which rocks they hang around.  If I didnt see them one night I can tell something may be wrong.

reefinready

you could always get like a dual timer and set your lights from like 10-12 and then 3-11 and set your actinics 1 or 30 minutes earlyer then the rest.

Try it for 10 or 12 hours, and see how it goes. You do not have overly strong light so it would most likely be okay. Especially if you can do as suggested and stagger your daylight and atinics. If you see nusience algae or corals readcting badly you would have to cut back. Be sure not to make a dramatic change in total hours at once. If you are adding ours I would do it 30 minutes or 15 minutes a day to ease the tank into the new schedule.

My light system is one complete thing, not two seperate ones, so i cant stagger it.

Daniel

Archived