Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nano Cube 12G DX (BB with 70W MH)

artarmon42

artarmon42

You know, I thought about that.

But see how that Coralline is growing on the starboard?

You're going to have Coralline growing on your epoxy "sandbed", which (if my imagination is correct) is going to look mighty unusual :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
artarmon42

I picked up some nice frags a couple of days ago...

BTW, I don't use a photo editor, so the pictures are a little washed out (with the MH offsetting the color balance). They're alot more colorful in person :happy:

Tigah's Rainbow Acan

rainbow-acan.jpg

Hot pink Stylo

pink-stylo.jpg

Al G Blenny's Lucky Jade Acro

jade-acro.jpg

Rainbow Monti (now my #1 favorite piece)

rainbow-monti.jpg

Not sure, but we think this might be GARF's Green Bonsai (got it for free, so we'll see if it colors back up)

green-bonsai.jpg

While I was at it, I took some better shots of my other corals...

Leng Sye Monti with polyps open

leng-sy.jpg

Christmas Tree Rock closeup

xmas-rock.JPG

Neon GSP, which is starting to grow like weed

neon-gsp.jpg

artarmon42

Thanks!

I'm in the process of collecting (even more) colorful coral frags.

I figure being a nano, I might as well get nice corals rather than just filling it up with Xenia (not that there's anything wrong with that :P).

Tigah's piece was the most expensive ($251+shipping off eBay).

The rainbow monti is the next at $150 (but that price also includes another 4-5 smaller pieces of the rainbow monti as well).

artarmon42

I re-aquascaped to create more "platforms" for the new frags.

Here's a whole tank shot.

05-20-05.JPG

Coralline is still growing like crazy, everywhere especially on the glass. It's coming off on the front-left of the starboard as my scarlet hermits seem to have developed an appetite for it ???

I also started using the cassette skimmer mod, which is awesome for keeping the water surface crystal clear!

Looking Great!!...I like the new corals.

I have to know where your percs came from? Those are some perfect looking trues.WOW

Back in the old days most of my LR had christmas tree rock on it. It came that way.:)

And of course Tigah's Rainbow Acans are always SWEET!!! I am trying to get my LFS to find me some nice ones so I can use my store credit.

artarmon42
Originally posted by Web Guy

I have to know where your percs came from? Those are some perfect looking trues.WOW

Thanks!

I got them as juvis from Rod Buehler (he's on reefcentral.com).

Great guy to deal with, and obviously very healthy and colorful Onyx.

They're not cheap though :bling:

And of course Tigah's Rainbow Acans are always SWEET!!!

It is a beauty!

Unfortunately, my camera's super-macro isn't great and the original picture is slightly washed out. I apologize to Tigah for being unable to represent the true colors of the frag :(

I spent an hour or so this afternoon trying to take a better picture, and playing around with Paint Shop to try to get a more accurate representation of what I see in person. This is what I came up with...

rainbow-acan-tigah-psp.jpg

Although I don't photo edit my pictures (to avoid any insinuation of misrepresentation), I felt the need the make sure Tigah's good name wasn't damaged by my inability to figure out how to use my camera :P

When Dori leaves the tank in 3 months or so I want one. I really can't do a pair but one would be great. Does he still deal with them? Can you get me a contact. Price is no issue when it comes down to the tank.:)....lol

rainbow-acan-tigah-psp.jpg

Color Morph?..lol

rainbow-acan-tigah-psp2.jpg

artarmon42

Does he still deal with them? Can you get me a contact.  

You can log into reefcentral and PM "Rod Buehler" (that's his user ID). I dealt with him solely through PM :

He raised multiple batches for a LFS that he was a partner in, but then they split up and he took his spawning pair and whatever fry he had at the time with him. My pair came from one of that "last" batch. I'm not sure if he's still selling...

artarmon42

Hmmm you must have edited the post after I read it :D

Color Morph?..lol

rainbow-acan-tigah-psp2.jpg

That must be the famous "WebGuy Photoshop Acan" X)

artarmon42
Originally posted by limulus

I'm getting back into this after 13yrs.

Yeah, I read that! Welcome back!

Have you decided how your tank will be setup?

Bare bottom, SSB or DSB?

Stock or modded?

artarmon42

I made some changes this weekend.

* Added a modified version of Doriftu's surface skimmer

* Replaced the Mini-Jet 606 with a Maxi-Jet 900, as the return pump

* Replaced the duckbill return with a trimmed Hydor Flo.

Details of those mods can be found here.

Anyway, here's the tank shot...

05-22-05.JPG

Oh, I also managed to get some better photos (still not photo edited, just resized to fit).

Here is another frag of the rainbow monti.

rainbow-monti2.jpg

And I've also recently moved my yuma into the shade and into a lower flow area. I think it's coloring up nicely, now clearly showing it's pink base.

yuma2.JPG

artarmon42

Picked up another 2 nice corals today...

A bright yellow Tort, with flourescent yellow polyps. If you know SPS, you know that there aren't many true yellow corals!

YellowTort2.jpg

A neon green monti cap. Just look at thecolor contrast to the coralline and the Banded Thorcus!

neon-green-cap.JPG

wowow, lots of SPS goodies, my fav's are the leng sy & pink stylo.

i gota say, that pic where the onyx clowns are laying around in the fungia is awesome! :) u've got some good taste in livestock

artarmon42

Thanks uchiha. Coming from you, that means alot!

Your tank is awesome and I love your clown and clam pic :D

artarmon42: That starboard you used, was it completely black or did it have little flecks of glitter molded into it? I've been looking for something completely black and haven't had luck, ony black with the sparkly stuff? I wonder if it would be that noticable concidering all the coraline that will grow on it?

Love your tank, its one of the tanks that made me start my own nano.

artarmon42

Thanks FreakShow.

The starboard is completely black, but it is rough (like a cutting board :D) so you might be seeing some light reflection.

I got it custom cut by www.thecuttingboardcompany.com (click on the "Fishermen" picture to make sure you go to the marine-grade buy page). I don't recall the exact price, but I think it was ~$15 including shipping.

• 2 weeks later...
fuzzyfroboy

in your nano cube you have those 2 fans coming out of the hole were your pump is connected to. are those stock? i have the original nano cube and would like to know how to get those

fuzzyfroboy, I'm not sure what you mean.

I have a total of 5 fans in the system: 4 in the hood, 1 for the rear vent.

If you follow the link (for the 70W MH) in my signature, and then follow the first link (to get to the final version), you'll see the parts that I bought, how much, and where from.

fuzzyfroboy

Sorry, I Didn't mean the fan, I mean the extension that comes from the hole where your pump is connected too. My normal nano cube doesnt have them it just has that hole. i would like the extensions so that i can control the flow.

Ah yes, I understand.

Those extensions/flanges/duckbills come with Rio powerheads.

When you buy a Rio, it comes in the box. Or you can buy them separately.

If I recall, the "return" (the hole you refer to) is a little larger and will require that you buy an adapter. I don't know what size you would need to buy (we're talking $1-2, so it's not much) but if you go to the Nano Cube forum, I think others will be able to tell you the exact part you need to buy.

• 1 year later...

Archived