Cultivated Reef

New to Nano

BlondeNaso1

BlondeNaso1

Hi,

I was refered to this site by someone on another board.  I am new to Nano reefs.  I have a 55 reef, but wanted some advice while setting up a new tank.

I just set up a 20gal with an Aquaclear Mini filter, Maxijet 400 PH, one 175watt 12000K metal halide, 20# LS, and just 1 piece (about 4lbs.) of LR.  I plan on getting about 20 more lbs, of LR this weekend.  I set it up on Monday and have a pretty good kick of NH4 going, no trites or trates yet.  I have been topping off by dripping with Kalk.  I just want some general advice about nano reefs.  I heard that water changes are extremely important, but other then that I am clueless.  Thanks for all the help.

really....for an expierienced reefer as you are...just watch your levels and do water changes once a week. that is all you really need to do. you already have sufficient lighting. one word of advice...if you notice something beginning to die..watch it closely because if it dies it can overload your tank and cause it to crash. also dont run your tank with carbon in the filter. i would also recommend putting another ph in for circulation. is the tank a tall or long? also depending on how you like your tanks to look i wold maybe recommend adding more than 20lbs. in a 20 i would think more liek 30-40 pound(depending on rock density) would be great. this is personal opinion though.

i m with slo on this one. you might need more than just 20 lbs of LR. you might also want to invest in a heater for the tank. and a fan too if the MH is in a canopy.

Guest AbSoluTc

I disagree with the above.  I don't think you need more than 20lbs of live rock.  If it is a 20l that would take up a lot of precious space.  Not to mention, your building a reef with corals and fish.  Not a tank with  fish and live rock as the main attraction.  

Than again, do it to your taste.

BlondeNaso1

Thanks for the advice.  I forgot to add that I do have a 100watt heater and a fan on the tank which is a tall.  I built a canopy for it, but I kept the MH about 13" above the water.  I was worried I would have heat issues, but since it has been set up I have been able to keep it around 79 no problem.  I will probably lower the MH down a couple inches.  Do you guys think I should supplement with an actinic bulb?  I figured the 12000K had enough blue that it would be sufficient.  I am planning on addind another Maxijet 400 PH, and I think I am going to go with Gulf LR which is a little denser then Fiji, but you can't beat the life you find on it.  I am not sure yet what I want to keep.  I was going to try Acropora after it has been setup for a while, but I am not sure if I have enough light for it to really thrive.  Anyone ever kept it on one of your Nanos?  Also, how much of a water change should I go?  More toward 10% or 20%.  I figured with the smaller tank to stay on the 10% side like about 2gal or so.  How does that sound.  And lastly,  I have heard from many other sources not to run carbon.  Why is that?  Would it be good to use a NH4 pad that they have for the Aquaclears??  Thanks again!

you dont run carbon because it pulls out the essential elements. if you run carbon you will have to dose all of the time. 10-15% water changes are fine and yes i would lower the halide a little. with fans the heat shouldnt be too much of an issue.

I have to agree with SLO and Hubu, I think you need a bit more like rock in there.  I have about 26lbs in my 24G tank and its just not enough.  I think I would need about another 5-7 lbs at least.

I have had experience with a 20 gallon long before. I love the shallowness of the tank. I used 4, 20 watt NO bulbs powered off a cheap ballast from home depot.  I not a fan of metal halides on nano reefs. With the more common use of power compacts it seems to me to more efficient to use power compacts.  I agree with the whole no carbon thing, I have recently had much more sucess growing coraline algea since I have stopped the use of carbon.  I am also not a fan of kalk. I have recently had great sucess with B-Ionic. My calcium and alkalinty has been much more stable with the use of b-ionic.

BlondeNaso1

Thanks guy for all the help!  The reason I went with the MH is because I had it lying around and wanted to put it to use.  I have a body who is using B-ionic with Kalk to maitain Alk, pH, and Ca levels.  It seems to be working good and I might give it a try.

Other then that, what livestock do the best in Nano-reefs.  I have seen a few posted on this site, but I am wondering what you guys have had the most luck with.

a cleaner shrimp will do good in a nano. clowns, xenia, damsels, shrooms. there are more stuff you can put in the tank, just cant think of any right now. make sure to put your rocks as close to the back of the tank as possible so youll have space in the front to put corals and inverts.

printerdown01

Check out deezreef's 10 gallon on the members nano reefs page! It filled to the brim with live stock! -Very nice display (sorry for always telling people to check out your tank, deezreef, but your tank is a prime example of nano capabilities!)

Um, few opinions here:  A) 20 lbs of LR could be just fine depending on your bioload and how porous your LR is (i.e. Martial Island LR is A LOT more porous than Mexican)!! B) I run carbon, I like carbon. The skimmer on your 55 (assuming you run one) pulls nutrients out of your tank, you wouldn't scrap it, lol!

Ok I too was a Reefer that went into nanos... And there are a number of diffs: 1) LIGHTING needed (you are fine on this one!) 2) LIVESTOCK: cucumbers are a no no in nanos so are bristle stars! -this seriously sent me for a loop simply because this tore my traditional clean-up crew into pieces. We also have to be more careful of LPS's sweeper tentacles since they can almost span the entire distance of the tank, and sting EVERYTHING in it! Tiny hermits are popular for clean-up crew (some feel nass. snails are more beneficial and less destructive than hermits). 3) ADDITIVES INCLUDING KALK... these can be easily overdosed in a nano! BE VERY CAREFUL (not to mention that they are not necessary because of water changes). and 4) WATER CHANGES: these are necessary because we have not learned to balance the nano as well as we have larger systems. The water changes will also replenish the tank's nutrients, thus eliminating the need for additives (I still add reef complete AT 1/4 THE DOSAGE RECOMMENDED ).

Archived