SaltCritters.com

12g JBJ DX Questions

ZMan

Ok, I'm hoping you guys can help me out with some questions I have. I have a 12g JBJ DX that I was planning for a Nano Tank. The following are some questions I have.

1. I've heard that I should remove all the media that they ship and fill the middle container with live rock rubble. Should I put anything else in there or just live rock? Do I need any lights over that area or not?

2. What would be a good cleanup crew to have in the tank? I realize that there are a number of combo's just wondering what some of you all have.

3. For fish I wanted to put a 2 percula clowns. What would be another colorful fish that I could add? How many fish would be too many?

4. I planned on having a cleaner shrimp and I've read that cleaner shrimp also are good in pairs. Should I add two or not?

5. Alot of you mentioned changing out the stock pump. Is there a thread that explains this process?

6. I was going to add some corals (obviously). What would be some good corals/mushrooms to add. I've never had corals before so I'm not to familiar with them. Do you all add trace elements?

7. What are the best test kits to have? There are so many I want to make sure I get a good one.

Thanks and if you all can think of anything else I should know please let me know. I appreciate the help.

stoney waters

Welcome to the world of nano cubes.

Here are my answers to your questions.

1. Yes, remove media. You should not need anything else in there if you have enough LR in the tank. save the space for equipment. I have a skimmer in mine.

2. 5-10 hermits. 5-10 snails. a cleaner shrimp. maybe a cabbage nudi.

3.royal grama. blenni or gobi. 3 small fish max.

4.I have only one.

5. Change it. mini jet 600 is a good choice.

6. zoos, shrooms, softies, knock yourself out.

7. I use Tetra test, its cheap and I trust it.

Good luck and welcome.

ClarkiiClown
Originally posted by ZMan

Ok, I'm hoping you guys can help me out with some questions I have. I have a 12g JBJ DX that I was planning for a Nano Tank. The following are some questions I have.

1. I've heard that I should remove all the media that they ship and fill the middle container with live rock rubble. Should I put anything else in there or just live rock? Do I need any lights over that area or not?

I would remove one of the foam blocks and run a bag of Chemi-pure. Works great. Second chamber take out the bioballs and media. Replace with live rock bits. A sump light is a good idea. Nanocustoms has DIY fuge lights or upgraded hoods with fuge lights.  

2. What would be a good cleanup crew to have in the tank? I realize that there are a number of combo's just wondering what some of you all have.

Hermit crabs are good. Snails too.

3. For fish I wanted to put a 2 percula clowns. What would be another colorful fish that I could add? How many fish would be too many?

A pair of percs is good. 3 fish max. Maybe a nice goby- Yashia, Jawfish are cool too. Firefish good too.

4. I planned on having a cleaner shrimp and I've read that cleaner shrimp also are good in pairs. Should I add two or not?

You might consider a peppermint shrimp.

5. Alot of you mentioned changing out the stock pump. Is there a thread that explains this process?

That is easy. Get a new pump, MaxiJet 606 or an Eheim 600. The stock pump is sitting on the bottom of the chamber and has suction cups. There is a green 1/2" tube that goes up to the outlet. Just pull it loose gently and put the new pump in. It is much easier with the tank empty.

6. I was going to add some corals (obviously). What would be some good corals/mushrooms to add. I've never had corals before so I'm not to familiar with them. Do you all add trace elements?

Shrooms and zoos are a good place to start but wait at least 6 months before adding any corals. Your tank needs to be established. As for additives it depends on what you have in your tank. Dont add anything you dont need to.

7. What are the best test kits to have? There are so many I want to make sure I get a good one.

Salifert is good. Worth the extra money

Archived