inTank Media Baskets

Help with ID

SubZero

Here comes the scum...

Now that my tank has been up for about 2 weeks, I am starting to see a significant diatom algae bloom. My small clean up crew seems to be loosing a little ground, so I am off to the LFS to pick two more snails and hermits. I have also noticed some reddish colored algae on the glass and I suspect that my top off water might be the source, so I am off on a mission to find higher quality water. I have yet to do a water change, but I am getting to the stage where I might need to.

When I set up my tank I found 2.5 gallon containers of water, one was RO but it was the last one. There were others that said they were RO, but with minerals added for taste. The only other option was steam distilled, so I bought that as my second. My tank with the sand took less than the 5 gallons to fill, so I have been using the steam distilled water to top off. Could that be the source of the red scum? It's not spreading very fast, and it seems to be more on front of the tank than anywhere. I also noticed that where the water falls back in the tank from the built in filtration (eclipse 6, no filter in place, biowheel still there) there are air bubbles that strike the glass (acrylic) in vicinity of where the scum seems to be most prevalent.

Now to the ID. I noticed in the crevice of one of my rocks, this shape that is translucent. It seems to move every now and then, more like pulse. It has never changed location or position, but it seems to be to be alive...what do you think it is?

Thanks in advance for your help....

Mark

harbingerofthefish

You know I never read your location before, now the name...oh well never mind.

As far as water. Does your LFS not sell RO/DI? I'm no expert on water but the purity would seem to ly , lie, lay, whatever in what kind of machine they actually use. If it has let's say copper pipe...don't use it. But of course how are you to know? I would check with your LFS.

And the I.D.. ? I would say some sort of mollusk or bivalve. If it turns out to be one I say hurry up and fry it and eat it before it dies in your tank :P

Patience grasshopper...algae blooms come and go, especially in a tanks early life. Algae doesn't necessarily equal bad water. I would say that if months down the road you're still having bad algae blooms then look into the water. The RO water and the distilled water should be fine...I would be suspicious of the "minerals added." Good luck.

printerdown01

I don't think that the distilled is the source of your algae. I think it is simply because your tank is young and going through the typical algae phases. However, I would go with the RO water with the "added minerals" before I went with the distilled. Pick up a water conditioner like Prime, for I would venture to guess that if you look at the contents you will find some form of chlorine has been added to the water (in very small amounts, much less than tap water). As for the ID: it appears to be a boring clam of some sort. Ooooh oooh and the second one is a blue-legged hermit :P LOL. -hope this helps, Anthony (p.s. I know you weren't asking about the hermit).

Archived