Cultivated Reef

Anyone ever seen little worms in the DSB?

onthefly

Ok Gurus, I was wondering if anyone had seen little (1/2 to 1" long) skinny worms in the deep sand beds? They look like tiny red worms pressed up between the glass and sand. In fact the other night I saw 2 "wiggling" up in the water current. Hopefully they'll just be food for the fish!

Mine aren't red but they are beige. They are in most good live sand beds. It's good food along with a good sand critter. My 6-line like to pick them out of the sand when he see's them:P

Cameron

There are well over 190,000 species of worms in more than 17 sub phylum, 7000 in Anelidia alone !

The most frequent seen are species belonging to Polynooade, Nereidae, Eunicidae, Syllidae,and Amphinomidae.

most are a few mm, but some aget HUGE ! Lineus Longissimus..... gets to like 17 feet !

of all the worms, 30 % are carnivores/ detrivores, 20 % are purely vegitarian, the remainin whopping 50 % are omniverious.

Many we have in our aquariums are harmless, but some are downright nasty. Some get a bad rap due to misconceptions of 'ALL" generalizations such as Bristle worms. IMO I LOVE the lill boggers.... they are awesome scavengers...

of course I know 99 % of the time, which ones are good or bad, but it comes with A LOT OF TRIAL AND ERRORS and learned hands on experience having delt with tons of rock and sand and sandbeds in tanks.

If you can find it, Marine Fish and Reef Magazine 2000 Annual issue has an AWESOME article on worms in the back. I referr to it as one of my "Bible issues" look for it. its WORTH the trouble. ;)

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

If you can find it, Marine Fish and Reef Magazine 2000 Annual issue has an AWESOME article on worms in the back. I referr to it as one of my "Bible issues" look for it. its WORTH the trouble. ;)

Absolutely get those issues....they are, like Dave says, great to have around. I only wish that was a monthly thing instead of annually but hey.....at least they make it:)

Cameron

Originally posted by Physh1

Absolutely get those issues....they are, like Dave says, great to have around.  I only wish that was a monthly thing instead of annually but hey.....at least they make it:)  

Cameron

One good issue or 12 filled with ######... :

Gimme one good issue any time. I hate filler and spam.

there is so many good articles and writers... yet they publish ###### on a regular bassis and 90 % of advice columns blow Sea monkey nuts.

Archived