Top Shelf Aquatics

Getting rid of sand storm

jcm1229

I've had my 10g running a couple of days with 1 1/2 inches of SD sand. Still very Murky. 1 minijet 404 circulating the water.

I just added a small handful of sand from my established tank and a couple of golfball sized pieces of rock rubble. Will this little bit help provide enough bacteria to subside the sand storm??

My 20 pounds of Gulf-View rock is coming next Wednesday and I was hoping for a "clear" tank to place the rock in.

Thanks!

jcm, I just started my tank adn had the same problem. A week after setting up the tank the water was still cloudy. I purchased some LR to begin cycling the tank, and within 24 hours the water was crystal clear.....no exaggeration. If you wait for it to settle before adding LR, odds are that it will get stirred up again while adding the LR, so if you are waiting for it to settle before adding LR, I wouldn't. I used a turkey baster to blow the sand that settled on the rock off (it wasn't much). The sand I blew off settled in a few hours, but the water did not get milky looking this time. Hope this helps.

Mark

Archived