SaltCritters.com

nighttime critters

flaunt

about a week ago i posted about my inland aquatics order... i put 3 peppermint snails, 3 cap snails, 5 mini brittle stars, and about 12 baby bristleworms in my 10.  i almost never see any of them running around, not even at night, and i was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get them out?  i've lifted up rocks and found various individuals, so i know they're not all just dead, but the only things i've seen come out on their own are once a peppermint snail, and another time a cap snail.  i don't think they're eating anything, because i get a diatom film on the rocks (the cap snails are supposed to eat that stuff).  i also tried throwing a shrimp pellet in there but nobody came out to get it (seems like everything from my cb shrimp to coral polyps devour those shrimp pellets).  any ideas?

the population needs to grow to the point where they emerge into the open more. give it time they will reproduce and then you will see em.

Toy

i thought bristleworms were bad?  actually i keep hearing conflicting views. some say they are beneficial and some say they are harmful.  whats your opinion?

It was thought in the early days of reefing that bristle worms are bad.

But most poeple these days consider them to be a very use addition to the reef tank.

They perform useful functions in the reef tank.  They are detritivores and mainly just consume crap lying around the tank.

I have seen pics of very big bristle worms in large reef tanks and owners didnt report any bad occurances.

Patience. It may take as long as several months before they multiply to the point where you can easily spot them. My mini brittle stars took a few months to get going, but now I can see them anytime with just a little searching (they are hard to spot on white sand).

-Chris

Archived