Innovative Marine Aquariums

Starfish!

SundownRocker

SundownRocker

So, I just got my 24 Deluxe cube and am setting it up this weekend. In a few wekks i will add some coral and fish. Has anyone kept a small starfish before? Some sites say they are a definate no while others say some species are rather easy to take care of. I am just looking at a basic sand sifter right now. Anyone have any experience/ideas?

Whatelse do you want to keep in that tank? Starfish dine on some coral if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure some of the more seasoned folks will be around to answer your question.

newbiecarlz

there is a thread in the advanced forum on this site about fromia starfish, which are supposed to be a reasonably hardy species (at least according to www.wetwebmedia.com). the main concern seems to be feeding, they can starve to death over a period of months and their long term sucess (esp in small tanks) seems uncertain from what ive read. I just got a fromia but its too early to tell how well its doing - it looks great so far. if you want one then do some reseach about the different species before you get one, and wait till your tank is established too!

I have a small sand sifting star, I shove a piece of frozen forumla 1 into the sand every week. I think it might've eaten one of my mexican turbos though :*(

Sand sifter star will decimate your live sand and then starve to death. Chronicles feeding may keep it alive but that is going to be about the only live thing in the sand.

What live sand? I used bagged reef sand, nothing live in that. I know all about these stars, and when it gets a lot bigger it'll be moved to the 180.

You were not the one asking about the starfish. Sundownrocker was and if he has live sand, it wont be if he puts a sand sifting star in.

I was merely informing him of this particular issue with sand sifting stars in a reef tank. As many have live sand beds, it is nice if they know in advance of putting one of these in, that it will kill the sandbed critters.

He mentions nothing about live sand, and I'm pretty sure he used bag sand. Most people around here think of "live" sand as bacteria filled, not filled with worms/pods/etc. A cuke would be much better suited to stirring the sand, if he had such things.

Archived