SaltCritters.com

Does your spouse or partner share your love of aquariums?

Christopher Marks

My wife likes looking at my tanks and pretty much lets me buy what I want without even asking "How much".....so can't complain.Shes mentioned theres alot worse things I could be doing :D

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My wife likes looking at my tanks and pretty much lets me buy what I want without even asking "How much".....so can't complain.Shes mentioned theres alot worse things I could be doing :D

My wife is the same, except on tank maintenance days and when I hook the RO/DI unit up to our bathroom sink :rolleyes: .

Nope. My fiancé hates it. Gives me a hard time about it all the time. I usually plan my cleaning times at times she's not home to avoid the headache of hearing her complain.

I believe I'm the happiest! :D my girlfriend is the biggest fan and she support me with everything I need. (including money)......................

Yep... She's into to it. The only issue she has is when I leave town. I run a ULNS and she gets nervous about the dosing, afraid she's going to screw it up.

Just tell your wives/partners that like my wife says you could be spending that money on other things such as other women and all that time you spend on your tanks is time you're not out somewhere"getting yourself into trouble" :D:D;) Just say your tank is your mistress right? Could be alot of worse things you could be doing!!. :oB)

I got my girlfriend into freshwater aquariums, and now she's become the fish expert while I get to do grunt work.

Oh, and I get to buy everything too. She's nice enough to let me do that.

• 3 weeks later...

Well... just bought a BC14 and am setting it up after many years without a SW tank (or ANY tank, for that matter). My SO keeps talking about buying at least one peppermint shrimp, so I take that as a good omen. I guess time will tell when she sees the prices of frags or I slosh saltwater on the carpet... :P

But I told her when we started dating that I wanted to move to the Gulf in Florida, so I can maybe play the "Hey, I can have a bit of the Gulf right here in my tank and you can still be close to your family in Chicago" card... B)

Rabidgerbil38

Mines supportive, unless I'm spending days on a DIY build or spending money on livestock. (this is just temporary though, after our summer trip to Europe she will have no reason to complain B)) But really, she dose enjoy the hobby, and even likes to pick out corals with me :)

Bob the nano

My Wife tries to be supportive but she cant understand why id be able to spend 4 hrs every saturday going to the LFS and doing water changes but can't change a light bulb in the laundry room!!! Also I think she gets hartburn when ever I tell her about how much corals cost!

My wife has her own tank in her office at work. "she" just upgraded from an aquapod 24 to a rsm 130. The funny thing is people ask her about things in the tank and she has no idea. She picks her own coral and fish but I am the maintenance guy with my guidance. She doesn't even feed the tank or scrape the glass? She just loves to look at it.

My wife ripped on me for weeks as I debated starting an aquarium... "What red blooded man wants a frickin' fish tank?" Five months and $1,400 later, I have a sweet little set up. She wouldn't admit it, but she digs it now. I catch her watching it all the time and asking questions, although she would never go to the LFS with me. That would be too much. One thing I didn't count on was her spending money to upgrade the fish tank room with new sitting chairs, a bookshelf/stand, vases with corals on them, starfish and coral paintings, etc. She may be trying to bankrupt my hobby.

• 6 months later...

The way my wife sees it is that ive had tanks longer than her and weve been together 12 years! So what can she possibly do to stop it? Ill let any of you young couples in on a little secret to long marrige, SEPERATE your finances! This is truly the ONLY way to stay married in this day and age. We all have jobs and wants and needs with no male hierarchy anymore. SO, she gets 4000 pairs of the same colored shoes and I get 4000 little twigs of "colored rock"! The bills get paid and we celebrate 10 years of marrige in October! And so it goes.

I am facinated by the fact that she complains all the time about me trying to bore her with all the details jsut to hear her say, wow, your montipora had grown a ton this month! HUH, you know what a montipora is? No freakin way! So she does listen, unlike me who thinks her $300 crocodile boots look like $10 walmart golloshes...oh and when I had monty eating nudibranhcs, she called them "nanopodapissers"! Classic

Ever since I took her YCG out due to coral nipping, she no like so much. I need to get her to fall in love with a tailspot or something similar. That way when we argue she wont think to pour poison in the tank. If HER fish is in there, I need not worry about sabotage.

My whole family is at competition. Im 15 and have my own reef tank, my 12 year old brother has a reef tank, my parents have a reef tank, and we have a freshwater planted tank. All in the same house.

Mine started off not on board at all, but after only a month she was into it. Buying her own coral for the tank, helping pick out stuff. When I show her a nicer, more expensive piece she even tell me to get it and goes in half with me. Now, if I go to the fish store without her she gets upset lol. I knew she "got it" when I told her the plans for building a wall in the house for a new tank to sit in and she thought it was an awesome idea.

• 2 weeks later...
surgicalsense
Does your spouse or partner share your love of aquariums?

Yes, but I seem to be the one learnig my chem balances, while he feeds them and fights with me on rescaping placement :huh:

she called it an "unhealthy obsession." and I have to tell her my acan cost me $20.

Would she rather have you addicted to crack? That is must more costly and will do damage. Hahaha! Seriously... that is lame, with all do respect.

surgicalsense

Whats with these girlfriends and wives? Holy freakin cow! Well it comes down to them not understand. Lucky for me, I am the one who kept the fresh water tanks all the time, he just enjoyed them. However, this time around we went 24g nano salt all the way together! Hahahaha! The only thing we have issued with is agreeing on how we are going to do the scape. I have other idea placesments that I think are way better then his, but we are in it together. Compromise! Like placing furniture in our apartment.

I think these women should just chill. You men (Just generally speaking of course) could be spending money are far worse things! However, try to get these woman to enjoy the reefs, too. Some how, I mean damn if your partner wants you to like her hair and nails. Geesh, she should do the same.

My husband isn't into it. He keeps saying he doesn't understand why I would spend $40 on a fish or coral but hey whatever. He used to help me keep the FW tanks but doesn't seem to want to get involved in the SW.

I am the other side of that coin, I am the wife spending the $$$ on water and fish and he is asking me why I have to do it. LMAO

My husband isn't into it. He keeps saying he doesn't understand why I would spend $40 on a fish or coral but hey whatever. He used to help me keep the FW tanks but doesn't seem to want to get involved in the SW.

I am the other side of that coin, I am the wife spending the $$$ on water and fish and he is asking me why I have to do it. LMAO

There's always one in the relationship. My wife likes to look at the tank and loves the shimmer of Leds. Thankfully I didn't have to tell her how much my AI SOL cost lol

Archived