Pod Your Reef

Does your spouse or partner share your love of aquariums?

Christopher Marks

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
supreme_spork
We keep our monies separated, so as long as I am keeping up with my monthly contributions to the household expenses, reefing costs are my business. Wifey likes the tank; as so many others have said, she would never have one of her own, but she likes having one in the house that I am maintaining - she thinks all the varmints are very cool.

The funniest thing, though, is that she says the best part of me having the obsession is that it keeps me out of her hair!

LOL, i think yours and mine must be comparing notes!

my GF enjoys going to the LFS with me cause she likes all the pretty fish. She hates how expensive it is. But shes a trooper and would allow me to have a 4000G aquarium if i could sustain it and afford to keep it up. She tells me its a great hobby for me to be in, and it gets me away from Baseball and working all the time

edit since others mentioned it the other hobby i never hear my gf complain about...

post-26587-1200019460_thumb.jpg

I bought my tank for my husband and while he likes it, I'm the crazy person in the house. He looks at it all the time and sometimes he goes to the fish store with me. He really appreciates it and has input about the aesthetics, but it's my hobby, my tank overall. He would not know how to do a water change if he had to. We both can't walk past it w/o stopping to look in. The kids pay attention to it too, but they are prob. just thinking of ways to sabotage their competition!

I told my GF I was getting a free frag yesterday and she said "Cool free stuff for your hobby I actually like". She doesn't complain about the money because the tank will make our new house look nicer. It's also cheaper than motorcycles, which she used to like until I spend 7k on a bike instead of an engagment ring. :wub:

HeyLookItsCaps

my ex girlfriend who bought me the tank was a huge animal lover and was really into it, she was a cheater tho so i kicked her out

my room mate (when you live with someone, your practically married so shutup) wasnt into it at all at first now hes doing top offs and water changes and feedings gettin his hands wet when i leave town.

My wife loves the tank, but hates "how much time you spend on that damn fish web site" ( n-r.com), the expenses involved, the maintenance, etc. Other than hating it completely, she really likes my tank :D !!!!!

she really can't give me much crap about being on here alot, since she's addicted to her ghey myspace.

Shoot Me_I Explode

Well I'm not married yet (after reading this thread I dont know if I want to :P ) and dont have a gf, But my parents have been very supportive about the tank. I guess they figure that its kinda hard to go out drinking and getting into trouble when I'm spending all my money on a reef tank B) .

Only time I get the moaning is when I have to move it to and from school. They were real surprised how much space the tank took up in the van B)

• 3 months later...

My wife has altered her support of my hobby depending on her mood. Although, I certainly never disclose the entire price of most items. I will talk constantly about the tank thinking it goes in one ear and out the other. Next thing you know she can name every coral in the tank. Go figure.

The one thing she absolutely dislikes is the time involved with reefing. Ugh!

My wife has altered her support of my hobby depending on her mood. Although, I certainly never disclose the entire price of most items. I will talk constantly about the tank thinking it goes in one ear and out the other. Next thing you know she can name every coral in the tank. Go figure.

Ditto... especially the price disclosure.

My wife is totally cool about the hobby. Its keeps me at home rather than at the clubs ... lol

She enjoys observing once in a while and she never questions how much $ I put in ...

One thing though ... when the tank is setup in the house ... there should be nothing sticking out of the tank that she can see and there should be no salt accumulating at the side of the tank ... that's why I go with these all-in-one ... sigh ... so limiting...

My hubby is as addicted as I am. We talk about our tanks all the time, we have 2 (a 7 gal. bow front and a 12 gal. nano, soon to be a 15 gal.) and a prop. Plus, he is good at remembering certain things and I'm good at remembering other things. We can be really bad influences for each other at our LFS. One day we hit every LFS in our town (about 6) and had a blast. Our tanks are shared so we discuss what we are going to put in them and how to arrange everything. We often get each other surprises from the LFS. I like that it's something we both enjoy and can do together.

scottyreef

ditto mine stands it aslong as she doent have to touch anything

saltyliving

my wife has no idea how much money i put into my tanks. its probablly better that way. Other than that its fine as long as i dont make a mess.

Detritus07

Tomorrow I'm getting my last coral ever. Next week I'm getting my other last coral ever. I promise.

She'll be staging an intervention soon I'm sure.

Not really. My wife doesn't really care what I do with the tank but the next upgrade she wants a "snooty fish" aka yellow tang. They have long noses/snoots. What can I say? At any rate I do what I want if she likes it or not.

My wife is not into all the maintenance and upkeep, but likes going to the LFS with me as long as its only 15-20 minutes not my usual 1-2 hrs. I let her pick out the corals we buy. And she is the reason I now cruise this site, because she bought herself a biocube 14g to keep her clown fish in. The only problem is she raided my tank. "I want that rock, and that coral, and this one too........for my tank...."

Archived