SaltCritters.com

Pico Pictures

NicksAcrylicReef

here the pico bowfront i maid for my girlfriend so i can look at something while i'm there lol

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

she wants s fish but i said no cause its to much of a bio load and to small of a tank i will give her any corals that start to grow out in my 5.5 gallon its about 1 gallon maybe less i got it at petco for 5 bucks

neanderthalman

It isn't a pre-assembled package like a nanocube, it's a smattering of products from a number of places. The tank itself is a 1.6g acrylic hex that I got from PetSmart nearly a decade ago.

It's seamless, and comes with the hood, a UGF, and an airpump. I ditched the UGF and the airpump, and picked up a 50/50 Coralife PC that fit perfectly in the hood. I've got a Maxijet PH and I don't know my heater brand.

I'll estimate my costs....

Tank - $30

PH - $20

Heater - $20

Light - $20

Salt - $25 (Only a big bag was available)

Aggregate - $20 (Big bag again)

2.5lb LR - $15

Total costs, without livestock, has been about $150. This is also in Canadian dollars, so the prices aren't as bad as they seem. Our prices are still more expensive up here after the exchange - we always get screwed. I estimate that it would cost about $80-$100 USD to duplicate it in California.

If you decide to do something similar, find a smaller PH and heater, or use a HOB and a small heater. It's just a much cleaner look that I'm not able to create with the equipment available to me.

Here is the last picture of mine I took (1/7/2005) before leaving for study abroad. I was rushed so its not a great one. I am excited to see what has changed/grown when I return home end of May.

C. Jerome

DSC00327.jpg

neanderthalman

Would be interesting to see the before/after pics once you're home. I couldn't be without my pico for that long.

Here's my new pico. Glass with lexan top 1.5G 4.5 cups ls, 2# lr, ac filter aqualight with fans installed & dc converter placed inside fixture(done by a good freind at the lfs). Some donated frags be the same said freind to get it started. I very pleased with it's turnout Established 04/15/05 John

Thanks. I haven't seen any. I'm keeping mainly zoo's, star polyps which I've added since the pic was taken. I'll be starting a new thread with new pics. Not satisfied with the ones I origanally took. Gonna add some blue striped shrooms if i can find them locally & more zoo's... John

I will be sure to post some before and after of both my 2.5 and 15 gallon system. I spoke with my father yesterday and he said that he can not really see into either tank any more because of the coraline growth on the front glass. He was goign to scrape a little window clear today so he can see in when he feeds the fish. He also claims to have seen my watchman goby and pistol shrimp paired up in my 2.5 gallon. When I left they still had not paired up, and they usually hid behind the rock work. So much to catch up on when I get home!

Jerome

PS I am sure i will have lots of coraline shavings when I clean my glass up so if people are interested let me know and I will bag it up and send it off to you at just the cost of postage.

• 2 weeks later...
mushroom head

What is taht yellow fish in your tank Fish??? My 10gallon is going to be a "shroom jungle" and i want a fish like yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived